PDA

View Full Version : Can a landlord

cheknurpulse
30-03-2006, 20:20 PM
Quitclaim deed the house to the bank with out notifying the tenant? And how does that work now that they say they no longer own the house. Who ownes the house and who do we pay the rent too.

Worldlife
31-03-2006, 03:32 AM
As you have not yet received written explanation of the changes how did you become aware of the involvement of Quitclaim and when do you think these changes were instigated? If there has been an undue delay in keeping you informed of the effect of these changes will have on your tenancy arrangements this might be used in your favour in any future dispute.

What is your tenancy situation? For example when did the tenancy start or are you in the initial period of an AST or a renewal tenancy?

How do you pay the rent? If it is by standing order suggest you leave it in place until you have written notification of changes in ownership and rental payments.

Rest assured you cannot be evicted from the property without a Court Order for Possession. The start of this process will be for you to be served the appropriate notices.. If you post details here you will receive the help you need.

cheknurpulse
31-03-2006, 06:52 AM
My mother in law owned the house. Without going into personal details, we had words and she no longer talks to us. I contacted her because of a problem with some outlets in the house, she told me to contact the bank because she did a quitclaim to the bank. She said she did it as of Feb. 26. She said she sent something to us but we never received anything. Can this be considered retaliation?

Worldlife
31-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Suggest you immediately send a letter to the bank with copy to landlord.

Explain you are a tenant of (address of property) owned by their customer (give name). Provide details or a copy of your tenancy agreement.

Although you have received no written notification that the bank are now agents for the property you have received verbal instructions from the landlord to report all defects to them.

Here is a list of defects (you may wish to make a comprehensive list):-

State that you are awaiting instructions as to what, if any, changes are to be made in the method of paying rent and in the meantime will continue regular payments as arranged.

It is your intention to pay the rent fully until you are legally obliged to vacate the property and trust they or their client will facilitate you to be able to pay the rent to an appropriate account.

Did you pay a deposit at the start of the tenancy? If so give the bank details and ask them to confirm that this is still secure and will be returned to you at the end of the tenancy.

Finally suggest that if in any way you have misunderstood the landlord's advice or intentions you trust that the Bank will take immediate action to clarify matters as the law is being contravened if the landlord fails to provide an address to which you can place this and future complaints.

No doubt your mother in law will be charged for the bank having to send her a letter :) Keep the correspondence rolling!!

cheknurpulse
31-03-2006, 16:07 PM
I honestly believe she did this because of the words we had. Can it be considered retaliation? And basically you are saying the bank is our landlord now right? I plan to continue to pay the bank, that is what we were doing instead of sending her the rent. She lives an hour away from us and the bank is in the town we live in. So, I was making direct payments to the bank. I have just never had to deal with something like this. We were just afraid that the bank would just kick us out.

Worldlife
31-03-2006, 17:04 PM
The alleged changes of landlord do not appear to have been documented.

Was there a written tenancy agreement? You are legally entitled to know the name of the landlord who is now responsible for the repair and upkeep and the landlord has told you this is the bank.

If the bank are in any way involved they should confirm the position. If not they will tell their client and your landlady what needs to be done to resolve the situation.

You cannot be "kicked out" the due process of law must be followed.

cheknurpulse
31-03-2006, 20:13 PM
Yes there was a written lease for the tennancy. Does the landlord have to inform the tennant in writing of the change?

Worldlife
01-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Is it a lease or is it an Assured Shorthold Tenancy?

If as you have stated the landlord has advised you to contact the bank as her agent involved in organising the repairs to the property you should do so as suggested in my previous post.

I also suggested you raise the issue with the bank of the failure of the landlord to notify you of apparant changes to your tenancy agreement.

It is possible there have been no changes and you are being misinformed by the landlord - please keep us updated.

Let the landlord and bank do the worrying and not you :)