PDA

View Full Version : Moving From The Area

g_conaty
30-03-2006, 17:02 PM
As mentioned in a previous post myself and a colleague have been renting a flat for the past 3 months on a 12 month tenancy. I have recently been informed that i may be being posted to another area 250 miles away meaning i would have to move from the area. Ontop of this my colleague may also be moving to another part of the country. Where do we stand with regards to the tenancy agreement? Do i still have to stay for the full 12 months? If this is the cas ethen i would have to try and appeal against the posting as i would not be able to afford to pay for somewhere where i am not living.

RichieP
30-03-2006, 18:39 PM
Basically you do have to stay. However, if you speak to your landlord about it he is obliged to make an effort to find tenants to replace you. You can also do some of this yourself, but the tenants must be acceptable to the landlord. He is entitled to charge you for advertising, references and credit checks, and drawing up new AST's.

Ericthelobster
30-03-2006, 18:50 PM
Slightly misleading saying "you have to stay" - he doesn't, of course; the LL can't physically nail him to the wall or something. He can leave, but yes, he's likely to be liable for paying the LLs costs (including rent) until a suitable replacement can be found.

But surely the OP's employer should be paying these costs if they are going to post him to the other end of the country? What would have happened if the OP had a mortgage to pay - what do they expect him to do?