PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour has no Gas Care safety certificate

ildigv
10-08-2009, 18:10 PM
Hi,

I know that our neighbour who is a landlord does not have his gas boiler inspected every 12 months.

I would like to report this but don't know where to go, is it Corgi or the HSE that prosecute landlords that breach safety regs?

Many thanks

susanne
10-08-2009, 18:18 PM
go to your local council private sector housing officer

Emma1973
10-08-2009, 18:21 PM
Or Enviromental Health

jta
10-08-2009, 18:39 PM
Hi,

I know that our neighbour who is a landlord does not have his gas boiler inspected every 12 months.

Are you talking about a neighbour who lives in a house near you, and is also a LL?

jeffrey
11-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Or is the neighbour's property a flat in the same block as yours? If so, it's perhaps a breach of covenant.

Ericthelobster
11-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I know that our neighbour who is a landlord does not have his gas boiler inspected every 12 months.I'm a landlord and I don't make a point of having my boiler routinely inspected every 12 months either.

However, I make damned sure my tenants' boilers are always checked though, in accordance with the law.

jeffrey
11-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Inspection every couple of years is a good precaution, even for owner-occupiers; they could be CO-asphyxiated, just like tenants could.

Ericthelobster
11-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Inspection every couple of years is a good precaution, even for owner-occupiers; they could be CO-asphyxiated, just like tenants could.Sure, I didn't mean to imply otherwise and in fact I have mine checked more often than biennially - but not religiously within every 12-month time frame as I do with tenants.

confused_landlord
27-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi,

I would like to report this but don't know where to go, is it Corgi or the HSE that prosecute landlords that breach safety regs?

Many thanks

Talk to the neighbour first as he might not be aware of his responsibilities. If he is, and he is just negligent, then talk to the tenant. If the tenant is willing to risk his life to save his landlord 40 gbp, then more fool him. And more fool the landlord for risking prosecution in case things go pearshaped.

I'm not a big fan on spying on neighbours and dobbing them in to authorities. Smacks of communism.

p.s: Make sure he does have gas appliances. Most modern flats don't seem to have any gas appliances.

mind the gap
27-08-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm not a big fan on spying on neighbours and dobbing them in to authorities. Smacks of communism. Or alternatively, it smacks of extreme right-wing dictatorships and fascist regimes.

p.s: Make sure he does have gas appliances. Most modern flats don't seem to have any gas appliances.
If the don't 'seem to', it's probably because they do not. I think I read somewhere that the reason is something to do with the increased safety of electrical heating systems in multi-storey housing where evacuation in case of fire is more difficult than in one or two storey buildings; gas is viewed as inherently slightly less safe than electricity and more of a fire risk. I think that's the reason, anyway.

jeffrey
27-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Might the doubts about gas now be obsolete if they arose at the time of [poisonous] town gas?

Mrs Jones
27-08-2009, 21:09 PM
If the don't 'seem to', it's probably because they do not. I think I read somewhere that the reason is something to do with the increased safety of electrical heating systems in multi-storey housing where evacuation in case of fire is more difficult than in one or two storey buildings; gas is viewed as inherently slightly less safe than electricity and more of a fire risk. I think that's the reason, anyway.

Actually, I think it had more to do with the Ronan Point disaster which showed the devastation which could be caused by a gas explosion in a block of flats.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/16/newsid_2514000/2514277.stm