PDA

View Full Version : Smoke alarms, fuseboxes

Sarah Landlady
07-08-2009, 13:54 PM
Hi,

I have just been presented with a long list of work, that my management company is pressurising me to do now on H&S grounds. Can I put any off this for 6 months or is it really essential?

Bathroom - my light fitting does not comply with current electrical health and safety regulations. Regulations state that all electrical bathroom fittings must be IP Rated, where the bulb sits within an enclosed and safe casing.

I must replace my Battery smoke alarm with a hard-wired smoke alarms

I must replace my fusebox as it does not comply with the current 17th edition regulation which came into effect on the 1st July 2008.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

jeffrey
07-08-2009, 14:31 PM
Do these items work OK, are any of them problematic, and when were they last inspected?

Sarah Landlady
07-08-2009, 19:00 PM
The light, fusebox, and battery powered alarm are in working order, just old I think.

tom999
08-08-2009, 15:59 PM
If property is a licenced HMO, then hard-wired smoke alarms of a certain standard & electrical safety test (which may mean new, modern fusebox to replace ancient one) are typically mandatory.

If its a single family house, then battery smoke alarms are Ok, but if electrics are old, it may be worth getting them checked out, i.e. a periodic inspection test by a qualified sparky.

"Can I put any off this for 6 months or is it really essential?"

For safety of your tenants its wise to get any works done. Apart from looking after the welfare of your tenants, think of the alternative scenarios; if tenant gets electrocuted in bathroom or battery fails in smoke alarm and someone dies in a fire, its the landlord who's usually held responsible. Is it really worth the risk?

havensRus
08-08-2009, 22:51 PM
Bathroom - my light fitting does not comply with current electrical health and safety regulations. Regulations state that all electrical bathroom fittings must be IP Rated, where the bulb sits within an enclosed and safe casing.

This can be done fairly inexpensively. £6 gets you the fitting from B&Q, plus however much the sparkie will charge to fit it.

Assuming its a SFH, its recommended but not mandatory. The fire brigade go round fitting free battery operated smoke alarms for householders!! If its HMO, then its a different story. Get it done.

I must replace my fusebox as it does not comply with the current 17th edition regulation which came into effect on the 1st July 2008.

Regulations keep changing (jobs for the boys), which would render a significant proportion of electrical installations in houses in the UK non-compliant, even though they may be working perfectly fine!!

Hi,
Can I put any off this for 6 months or is it really essential?

Old doesn't mean dangerous or bad. They want to cover their behinds.

You also have a duty of care to your tenant, so having had the matter brought to your attention, you should do something about it. I agree with tom999, get a periodic test done, then based on the outcome, decide on what to do immediately, and what can be scheduled for later.

I suspect the LA have their own sparkie - you could ask them to organise it, or get your own sparkie to do it. That way you know there's no collusion (that's the cynic in me talking....)

ah84
10-08-2009, 21:16 PM
Hi,

I have just been presented with a long list of work, that my management company is pressurising me to do now on H&S grounds. Can I put any off this for 6 months or is it really essential?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Who has given you the list of work the council or your agent.

Replacing bathroom fitting is no big deal so might as well do.

Regarding the smoke alarm it depends what type of property you have.

And as for the fusebox you don't have to change the fusebox everytime a new edition comes out. I think there must be more to it then you are saying. Surely it would make sense to have an electrical safety certificate rather than just a new fusebox. Additionally if your wiring is poor then you may get nuisance trips with a 27th edition RCD protected fusebox.