PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to volunteer new tenant info to local authorities for council tax?

Gomer
23-03-2006, 16:37 PM
Hi. A quick question from a newbie landlord....

As a landlord is it my responsibility to inform the relevant council tax authorities at my local council that a new tenant is occupying my property?

My new tenant has 'unofficially' asked that I do not volunteer this information unless I have to. But I'm pretty sure that I am legally bound to do so. Am I right?

Cheers,
Gomer

JNoles
23-03-2006, 17:07 PM
Well someone has got to pay the council tax on the property, and assuming you don't want to I would suggest advising the council about your new tenant.

With every new tenant I always advise utility suppliers, water company and council tax people myself so I know it has been done.

I don't know whether you're legally bound to advise the council - others can probably advise, but personally I would suggest it is in your in interests to do so.

Worldlife
23-03-2006, 17:24 PM
I too follow the procedure of JNoles.

I don't want to be landed with the tenant's bills!!!

Poppy
23-03-2006, 18:19 PM
My new tenant has 'unofficially' asked that I do not volunteer this information unless I have to.
Doesn't that ring alarm bells loudly in your ear?

How did you find this tenant? What checks did you make before offering a tenancy?

Ericthelobster
23-03-2006, 18:43 PM
Of course you have to tell the council. They know the property exists; they will continue to send CT bills there, and who do you think they will run to for payment if they can't find out who the liable person is?!

Gomer
24-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi Poppy. The tenant is a relative, hence the 'unofficial' request from them. Nevertheless, they have also been through a third party credit check!

Blobby
29-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Gomer wrote
"Hi Poppy. The tenant is a relative, hence the 'unofficial' request from them. Nevertheless, they have also been through a third party credit check"

Simple Answer :-

Don't mix business and pleasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worldlife
29-03-2006, 02:20 AM
The situation here could be affected if a landlord were claiming relief from Council tax on the grounds that the property was vacant and undergoing renovation and did not inform the Council that the property had become re-occupied.

Poppy
29-03-2006, 09:25 AM
On the landlord forums we are aware of bad tenants who are relatives of the landlord. Somehow dealing with these particular tenants would appear to give landlords extra emotional stress. Rational thoughts and professional action also seem to be lacking in landlords of this ilk.

I say, keep more of your hair by being detached. Or somefink!

Fergal
14-04-2006, 11:07 AM
From My expierance, even after informing the council of new tenants, the tenants did not fill out the council forms, and after repeatedly informing the coucil of the situation I kept recieving council tax demands until eventually a summons arrived for non-payment. After various different advice from different people form the council tax dept I was told to pay the owed amount and additinal costs of the summons letter and that it would eventually be payed back. It was explained that this was due to a back log in thier system.

Ask yourself, do U want to pay council tax, or the tenant pay. Don't be soft inform the council.
:rolleyes:
Fergal