PDA

View Full Version : Internet and Television Contracts

Poppy
23-03-2006, 10:35 AM
My prospective lodger (a student) and I were on the cusp of signing a license to lodge. Then she remembered that she has one year contracts with AOL and Sky.

Because she is not my first lodger, I expected:
- she would use her own mobile telephone
- I would give her access to my wireless broadband service
- she would watch my cable television

I don’t want to install an extra landline and I don’t want to affix a satellite dish. She could move out in a month if either of us decided.

How can my prospective lodger resolve this problem please?

justaboutsane
23-03-2006, 11:18 AM
She should call them both and inform them that she is moving to an address that is currently signed up for these services. It is then up to her to pay them if they decide she owes them any monies!

I had a HUGE row with NTL a few years back when I moved, I was 6 months into my contract when I had to leave for personal reasons... They were very nasty and I ended up in tears and yelling the reason I had left and that I was moving in with my parents who were covered by Telewest. They soon gave up and left me alone.

Your lodger may have to pay them some compensation for disconnecting the services early.. but that is between her and the compaines involved.

davidjohnbutton
23-03-2006, 13:25 PM
If you have BT you could put her on BTBroadbandTalk which effectively uses part of the broadband line to talk across using an ordinary telephone - this would save you having to install an extra line.

Your lodger getting out of her existing contracts is not your problem and she may well have to pay a penalty for release from her contract.

Poppy
24-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Thank you for your responses.

Apparently Sky adopt a more "let's sort this out" attitude.

AOL's attitude is "there is a phone line at the new property, you can still use our service, you must PAY, la la la la we're not listening".

What I may end up doing is plugging the tenant's line directly into my network router.

If AOL won't release her, she'll have to pay.

(What is AOL so worried about?)