PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to PAT test a built-in oven??!!

JNoles
20-03-2006, 23:29 PM
As I am in between tenants at the moment with new tenants moving in soon I am taking the opportunity to get a periodic inspection report done on the electrical installation at the property, and the agent through whom I have found these tenants suggested I get PAT tests done on any supplied appliances. The only supplied electrical appliance is the built-in oven (although the gas hob has an electric feed for the ignition, and of course the GCH system has electrical feeds too).

When I asked the electrician who is doing the inspection if he would do a PAT test on the oven he said no because of course PAT stands for Portable Appliance Test, and built-in ovens generally aren't that portable!

The agent is still saying "best get a PAT test done on it anyway while he's there" - probably just covering his back I guess.

Any thoughts on this one? In the (hopefully unlikely) event of any problems with the oven I would want to be able to show due diligence. If a PAT test isn't the way to go about this, is there something else I should be doing, or am I worrying over nothing?

Ericthelobster
21-03-2006, 16:50 PM
When I have a periodic inspection report done, my sparks also specifically excludes any fixed wired items (including hob, oven and extractor) from PAT testing; whereas he does test an electric coal-effect fire which is screwed firmly in place, because it's powered by a concealed 13A plug in a cupboard next to the chimney breast.

Since the sparks charges me PAT testing on a per-item basis, it's not in his interest not to test these items, so I'd tend to trust his judgement rather than the agent!

Note the issue is not whether the appliance is built-in or not, it's whether it's powered by a removable 13A plug (which is definitely possible in the case of an oven) or whether it's 'hard-wired' to a fused connection unit. (I think the idea is that in the latter case, the appliance becomes part of the fixed wiring of the house, tested seperately - but no doubt next time 'Electratek' comes on here he will put me right on that!)

JNoles
21-03-2006, 17:10 PM
Thanks, that's helpful. Will check if the oven is hard-wired or plugs in somewhere.

Elektratek
23-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Now Eric, at least spell my name correctly! :)

Eric is correct in what he says, and a good idea to get all items tested.

The oven is classed as built in equipment/appliance. This is not part of the fixed wiring, and would not be covered under a standard periodic inspection report unless stated on the report, and is neither a portable appliance, but could be carried out at tihe time of these being tested.

Nevertheless, it is an electrical appliance, and therefore needs to be tested. You would not normally plug this into a tester (as in a PAT test), but you would use meters as in a fixed wiring test (as you can't plug a house in either), to perform tests for electrical safety.
Visual inspection would preceed testing. Insulation resistance between live conductors and earth @500V d.c., and an earth bond test with a loop tester and probe to the outer casing @25Amps (subject to manufactures instructions for damage to any circuitry - your contractor can advise). This would then be the same as a pat test. I would suggest this is checked every 1-2 years as it is built in, instead of annually, dependant on it's age and condition.

This again is not Law, but is a good idea as always.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Elektratek
www.elektratek.com

investments
24-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Could you please clarify whether for rented properties whether items are legally bound to be 'pat tested'?

Thank you

Elektratek
26-03-2006, 17:33 PM
Could you please clarify whether for rented properties whether items are legally bound to be 'pat tested'?

There is no law which states you MUST get items PAT tested.

There is a law which states you should provide an electrical installation in a safe condition etc. etc.
The same applies to appliances... and the only recognised way of assessing if something is safe is to test it.

This turns into a grey area when it is not, as some agents insist on PAT testing, saying it is a legal requirement, but is however an interpretation, (Ask for the legal document if this occurs, that'll get them hunting around) where others don't.
It is however a good idea to satisfy your duty of care (which is a legal requirement) by getting things tested.

Hope there are not too many 'legal' bits in here. It gets confusing for contractors sometimes - what chance do the public have.

Maybe one day there will be someone who will put an electrical test as a definitive requirement, just like a landlords gas safety cert.... now there's an idea ODPM!

More info on our site if you wish to look!

regards
Elektratek
www.elektratek.com

Ericthelobster
26-03-2006, 22:15 PM
Maybe one day there will be someone who will put an electrical test as a definitive requirement, just like a landlords gas safety cert.... now there's an idea ODPM!Hmm... I have little doubt it's just round the corner: I'm sure Two Jags doesn't need your encouragement!