PDA

View Full Version : How Long To Evict Tenant??

somethingwicked
16-03-2006, 18:20 PM
Hi there, Hope you don't mind me jumping on this board, but i need a bit of advice. We are due to rent a property privately from a family friend but she is having trouble removing her tenant. He was given 2 months notice, and still wouldnt budge- he wasnt paying his full rent so the contract was not renewed. They are due to go to court, and we have been told the court date will be in the next 2 weeks and the courts will order him out in 6weeks. If he still does not go, he will be physically removed by baliffs. However, we have also been told by other people that if he is being awkward, that this isnt necessarily the case and it can take months to remove him. Can you please give me ur thoughts, experience and knowledge on this one? Any replies will be so gratefully recieved.
Many thanks,
Anna x

RichieP
16-03-2006, 19:42 PM
Saying it can take months is true, but that usually includes time taken to serve the notice, wait for it to expire, then apply to the court.

That's all been done and a court date is imminent. Assuming the paperwork is correct your friend can request possession forthwith, as the tenant has not been paying full rent, usually 14 days.

You apply immediately to the court again for bailiffs if he still hasn't budged after the 14 days. This can take up to 6 weeks, but usually quicker.

Paul_f
17-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Richie. Your advice is most confusing and what do you mean about 14 days? You are talking about S.8 Notices and that isn't the case here! The poster is asking about what happens after the S.21 expires. You don't even know the extent of the arrears!

RichieP
17-03-2006, 11:13 AM
No Paul, I'm talking about a Section 21.

Go to the hearing.
Stand in the little box.
Be reverential to the self-important judge.
Play the game.
Ask for possession forthwith
Get granted a possession date in 14 days

Clear?