PDA

View Full Version : can i get my tenants benefits paid direct to me?

p.garner9
05-07-2009, 21:28 PM
my house is up to let and a single parent wants to rent it off me. She is on housing benefits but says she can pay the £500 pcm.
I have never let to anyone on benefits before so if anyone can help me clear up a few points
* can the benefits be paid directly to me?
* how do i know she will get the benefits-is there any proof?
* how does she pay the deposit?
* what if her benefits dont meet the £500 pcm

thanks

mind the gap
05-07-2009, 22:04 PM
my house is up to let and a single parent wants to rent it off me. She is on housing benefits but says she can pay the £500 pcm.
I have never let to anyone on benefits before so if anyone can help me clear up a few points

thanks

You should subject her to a credit check as you would any other tenant, to ensure you do not let to someone with unspent ccjs. Get a reference from her last LL to see how reliable she was about paying the rent. Ask to see evidence of her benefit entitlement, including the amount she is paid in LHA plus any earned income she may have.

For tenants on benefits some councils help with the deposit. Ask her to talk to the council about this.

If she does not pay the rent for eight weeks, then you can ask for the LHA to be paid directly to you. But there is no guarantee you will ever see the eight weeks' worth.

Ask whether she can provide a home-owning UK based guarantor.

If her benefits don't meet the £500 and she has no other income, then your house is going to be too expensive for her to rent, I would assume.

rajeshk4u
05-07-2009, 22:04 PM
---> many councils will not

---> if she is already claiming check her existing paper work. Also helps if he is the the same area.
----> I recently had a DSS tenant. Like you, I was unsure, so I asked her that I would only take her on, if she could get a letter from the Council to confirm her entitlement and what rent they would pay (she was a new claimant). But the Council refused to give any such letters. So I refused her.

---> pass

---> contact local council to find out the current rental rates...
---> she could top-up rent if small difference....

Emma1973
05-07-2009, 22:44 PM
1) No, unless she is 8 weeks in arrears, or is counted as 'vulnerable' in which case medical or professional evidence is required. This is the same for all councils.

2) You wont know for absolute certainty, you can ask her to sign a letter saying she is happy for you to discuss her claim but thats about it.

3) The deposit will have to come out of her own pocket, although some councils do run schemes whereby they will give you the deposit. And if you require a month in advance then she will definately have to find that herself.

4) https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/LHARateSearch.aspx?SearchType=PostCode This site will tell you the going LHA rates for your area so you can check. If its any less than she has to make up the shortfall, it also goes on the amount of bedrooms that she needs. i.e if she only needs two-bedrooms but she's renting a 3 bed, they will not pay for the 3rd so there may be a shortfall.

rockedboat
05-07-2009, 23:29 PM
---> many councils will not

---> if she is already claiming check her existing paper work. Also helps if he is the the same area.
----> I recently had a DSS tenant. Like you, I was unsure, so I asked her that I would only take her on, if she could get a letter from the Council to confirm her entitlement and what rent they would pay (she was a new claimant). But the Council refused to give any such letters. So I refused her.

---> pass

---> contact local council to find out the current rental rates...
---> she could top-up rent if small difference....

So you turned down a tenant who may have been perfect just because the council wouldnt provide a letter? would you ask a working tenant to provide all their payslips? I can understand someone being worried about people affording somewhere but think thats somewhat extreme as theres no difference than a working tenant who may say lose their job or something what do you do then? You have to give someone a chance.

You should of checked the local LHA rates and taken that into account as most people do get exactly as it says.

Most if not all councils will not give this letter for many reasons they cant tell without assessing the claimant first.