PDA

View Full Version : Do you give out your phone number?

CoffeeCup
14-03-2006, 11:20 AM
I am letting my property through an agent on a full managed basis.

I expect the agent to deal with all the day to day issues and only contact me in an emergency (also read 'gonna cost me money')

My question is:-

Do you also provide your tenant with your contact number?

davidjohnbutton
14-03-2006, 12:03 PM
I would, cos the agent is only going to have his office open from 9a.m. to 5 p.m. approx. and you might like to intervene early if there is an emergency water leak/fire/broken windows etc which require action "out of hours" but specify that this phone number is for out of hours contact only and that all enquiries should be directed to the agent first for non emergency matters.

ivrytwr3
14-03-2006, 13:15 PM
I would, cos the agent is only going to have his office open from 9a.m. to 5 p.m. approx. and you might like to intervene early if there is an emergency water leak/fire/broken windows etc

This is part of what i pay my agent for. They take the emergency calls at any hour as well as the routine during normal office hours.

However, i also have insurance so the tenant can call the emergency plumber/electrician without me getting involved.

So, no, i do not give my tenant my phone number. However, they do have my email.

Tweedle Dum
15-03-2006, 08:19 AM
My experience of having property fully managed was that the agents could only be reached during office hours. I personally give a mobile phone number that I use soley for my properties rather than my normal numbers.

davidjohnbutton
15-03-2006, 09:24 AM
If you are sure that the agents can and will respond to a telephone call from a tenant at 9.30 on a Saturday night saying there is a slight water leak through the ceiling from a pipe underneath the bath and that they can get an emergency plumber out - then by all means do away with the back-up issue of your phone number - be aware that the agents will not have the same loving care as you do for your tenants or the property!

I can understand you not wanting to be bothered by tenants all the time though - I had one phone me on Xmas Day at 10 a.m. stating a leak off the rear addition roof - what on earth they expected me to do on that day is beyond me but it was dealt with the next working day.

MrShed
16-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Just my tuppence worth.....it all depends how hands on you want to be. I am guessing that the majority of people visiting and posting on these forums want to be fairly hands on, and so for those people(and so most who read this) giving a phone number is a good idea. Those landlords who do not wish to be bothered at all, and just wish to take their chunk of the rent, I wouldnt give it.