PDA

View Full Version : Working overseas

Mainlyconfused
14-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I am going to be working overseas and maybe home once a month, I want to let out two furnished bedrooms in a furnished house, to cover the cost of the house so I can return home if an when I wish - What would be the best way to handle this and are there any legal implications or anything I need to watch out for? I just need general advice. Thanks

MrShed
14-03-2006, 09:54 AM
So you mean let out two rooms in the house you wish to be able to return to? This would rule out any kind of normal tenancy, as the tenants would have quiet enjoyment of the property. I assume you could have them as lodgers, but I don't know whether this would be affected by the fact that you wouldnt be there the majority of the time.

Poppy
14-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Sometimes MrShed even I know when to say nothing. All you have done is repeated Mainlyconfused's confusion.

MrShed
14-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I disagree. I have ruled out standard tenancies, and have said that having them as lodgers is the probable solution, but I would like to hear if there would be any problems with that. Poppy please remember this is not a question and answer forum, but a DISCUSSION forum.

susan 2
14-03-2006, 19:43 PM
Mr. Shed - I agree with you. At least you always try to help the posters even when they confuse both themselves and us. I think the short answer to Mainly confused is that he cannot do what he suggests. He certainly cannot issue an AST and I'm pretty sure he would have to be resident more or less permanently to have them as lodgers. To leave your own house with no agreement in place could lead to all sorts of problems, and he cannot issue one.
By the way did anyone see "Tenants from Hell" last night? And we think we have problems!

MrShed
16-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Just a thought.....could he theoretically have an HMO, and have himself as one of the tenants? No doubt this would be impractical, and have tax implications etc, but is there anything to stop this?

Energise
16-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Just a thought.....could he theoretically have an HMO, and have himself as one of the tenants? No doubt this would be impractical, and have tax implications etc, but is there anything to stop this?

A live in landlord with 2 lodgers would not make it a HMO under the new regulations.

I think even with extended absences the landlord could still be regarded as live in if he could prove it was still his main home.