PDA

View Full Version : Bedsits/HMO/Health and Safety Regulations

Mago
11-03-2006, 19:03 PM
Hi,
as I am the only person with access to the internet,I am seeking advice on behalf of five other residents at the same address as myself.

On the second and third floors of the property at which I reside there are five males living in bedsits,there is one bathroom comprising of a toilet,sink and shower to be shared between five tenants.

Cooking facilites,
each tenant has had to supply his own hotplate Baby Belling etc,all this equiptment is being supplied electricaly off a 13 amp ring main. There are no extraction facilities,nor facilities to do washing up apart from the bathroom sink.

Any advice as to what is the legal position would be appreciated.

caroline7758
11-03-2006, 20:44 PM
Not sure of the legal position, but from April 6th your landlord will need to apply for a license for this building and it doesn't sound as if he would get one at the moment (See other posts recently about HMO licensing)

Mago
11-03-2006, 21:26 PM
Caroline,
Many thanks for your advice,the present landlord recently obtained the property from his deceased father,who was the resident landlord with three tenants,unfortunalty the attitude now is that if my tenants do not like the way that I do things,then they can jog off.

Energise
12-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Have a look at the link below about the new HMO legislation and call your local Enviromental Health Department and explain to them your current living conditions.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1151996

theartfullodger
21-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Caroline,
Many thanks for your advice,the present landlord recently obtained the property from his deceased father,who was the resident landlord

with three tenants,unfortunalty the attitude now is that if my tenants do not like the way that I do things,then they can jog off.

Is new landlord also resident or not?? If not resident then you, who were "lodgers" with "licences" under previous landlord are now "tenants" with ASTs (Assurred Shorthold Tenancies) even though there may be nothing in writing or only the old lodger agreement in place. ASTS give significantly more rights..

Are you all comfortable as to the safety of the property?? [Gas Safety cert if there is gas, electrics, fire-doors, smoke alarms, door-closers, evactuation instructions, emergency lighting]??? If not suggest you discuss with Landlord or, if nervous of doing so you are quite entitled to contact local council Environmetal Health officers.

Best regards

Artful