PDA

View Full Version : landlords workman caught on cctv

mattyg
07-03-2006, 17:33 PM
i have caught on cctv my Landlords workman in my flat he has broken in with respect to changing the locks and therfore locking me out of my home(see my prevoius thread) http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1940

what is my next step do i go straight to the police or do i contact the landlord informing him that i fully intend to report the crime to the police along with health and saftey exec regarding no gas certificate (for 3 years)

and whoever its is regarding the broken window in my bedroom (again for 3 yrs) and general disrepair and harrasment.

As the LL has stepped so far over the line i fully intend to sue for compensation do i contact him stating the crimes commited the penaltys for such crimes and ask him him how much he would be prepared to pay in order for me to keep quiet and vacate premesis or is that blackmail.

I know this may not sit well with the Landlords amongst you but the few are giving the many a bad name.

I value all your input and thanks in advance
Matt

PaulF
07-03-2006, 18:05 PM
Bingo!

Get hold of Pain Smith solicitors (doesn't matter if they're not local to you, and their icon is on most pages of the forum posts), have a word with Marveen Smith or Steven Pain and let them get you the compensation you so richly deserve. Believe me it can be quite a decent amount!

Their site is www.painsmith.co.uk

Tweedle Dum
07-03-2006, 18:44 PM
Is he entitled to break back in and change the locks himself?

mattyg
07-03-2006, 19:12 PM
after six days late with the rent he threatned to change the locks the rent was due fri before last payed fortnightly.

no he is not allowed to enter my flat without my permission unless its on fire or flooding. he didnt change the locks though. as i left him a note pinned to my living room door saying what he had done was a criminal offence and i intend to see it through then the workman left

P.Pilcher
08-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Sounds like Steven or Marveen are going to earn a well deserved nice fat fee! It won't cost you a bean and you should do well out of it as well!

P.P.

mattyg
08-03-2006, 14:56 PM
spoke to steven pain today said i had a few options told me to speak to enviromental health over disrepair, Hse over gas appliances, maybe police over break in. but said as he didnt change the locks i cant sue him for unlawful eviction.

not sure what to do now

Ericthelobster
08-03-2006, 18:22 PM
as he didnt change the locks i cant sue him for unlawful eviction.But I thought you said earlier that's what the workman had done? Or did you mean you'd turfed him out before he'd changed them? So at the moment, are you still in the house and not evicted? If so, what's the LL's next move? Is he going to try and change the locks again...?

mattyg
08-03-2006, 20:59 PM
he was there to change the locks but after reading a letter i left for him he did a runner(i now wish i hadnt written the damn thing now.

however i sent the LL a text message tonight saying he doesnt intimidate me I have had a text message from LL saying he would see me very soon(sounds like a threat) and another one about 20mins after saying "Landlord rights to inspect property with 48 hrs notice solicitors letter on the way"

he doesnt know about the cctv footage yet. I have been intouch with the EHO they are ringing be back in the next few days for an appointment. and I have quizzed Health and safety over the lack of Gas safety Certificate (£5000 per offence) i did ask him 3 gas appliances multiplied 3 years could cost him £45k. Like that would ever happen.

The only problem at the moment is I dont feel safe in my own home i dont know when this bloke will be back or if the LL will send some nice boys round for a chat( when i say I dont feel safe i mean my girlfriend im a 15 half stone bodybuilder i can look after myself but i dont want my sleep disturbing or grief from the missus because she couldnt sleep)

Dont know what to do next If he changes the locks great i can sue him for unlawfull eviction if not its just harrasment

as ive said earlier he is in the process of selling property although he has not said anything to me and i believe he wants it vacant but its going to take him 5 months to get me out and about a grand which if hes lucky will get about£250 back

islandgirl
09-03-2006, 08:44 AM
re right to inspect. My tenant refused me entry to inspect after I gave him 48 hrs written notice - he left a phone message saying the only time I could go in was when he and his family had moved out. Solicitor I spoke to said I could do no more, just add it to the section 8 as another breach of tenancy agreement. Your landlord cannot come in (or by doing so will lay himself open to harrassment charges)
Also just remembered - have seen other posts on this forum where people recommend the tenant relations officer at the council. No personal experience but many tenants have said they have helped. May be worth a call?

MrShed
09-03-2006, 10:39 AM
As the LL has stepped so far over the line i fully intend to sue for compensation do i contact him stating the crimes commited the penaltys for such crimes and ask him him how much he would be prepared to pay in order for me to keep quiet and vacate premesis or is that blackmail.

Matt

Kinda depends how you word it. If you wanted to, you could write a letter to him saying you are willing to negotiate a financial settlement to end the tenancy, and upon successful negotiations you will not pursue any compensation for anything else. However, I personally would probably take him to small claims now.

mattyg
09-03-2006, 19:37 PM
does anyone think going to the police with the cctv evidence worth while i spoke to friends father who used to be in the police and he said they dont like LL/tennant disputes however if i take the video in saying i dont know who this guy is in my flat it may be something to do with the landlord but i dont know " what you going to do about it" at least they will have a record and a crime number plus it cant hurt my case if my LL gets charged with anything

its affected my girlfriend more than myself as she wont stay in the flat on her own now