PDA

View Full Version : Living in a Caravan / Portakabin on my Land

BobG
14-06-2009, 15:54 PM
I posted about my problem in that the padlock to the gates of my land kept getting broken into in a separate thread:
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19695

I have not been able to find out who is breaking my lock, but have an idea that I want all your inputs on:-

I’ve thought of moving my caravan (the type you toe to the back of a car) onto the land and given its summer, actually living in it. Or buying a Portakabin and placing it on the land.

My only concern is that do I need planning permission or my local authority’s consent in any way – say for the purposes of paying Council tax etc.

I heard in the news sometime ago that local authorities are obliged to allow people to use land as a camp site for those who have caravans, but I think that is in instances where the local authority makes available its own land (i.e. public land) however does it extend to land such as mine, i.e. private land?

mind the gap
14-06-2009, 16:30 PM
A similar, though not identical, question came up before in this thread :

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16682&highlight=caravan

There should not be a problem putting the caravan on your land, but if you then move into it, I think yes, your council may well have something to say about it. Apart from anything else, I imagine they will want to know what facilities there are for disposal of rubbish and emptying of the chemical toilet, etc.

Why don't you ring them up and ask them if it's OK to use your caravan on your own land as a temporary summer residence? If you stress the temporary nature of the arrangement and that it is not your main or principal residence, you might be OK.

jeffrey
14-06-2009, 16:31 PM
Is your land:
a. in a Conservation Area; or
b. subject to any other known TCPA matters or registrations?
For what was it last used? It can't have been derelict forever.

BobG
14-06-2009, 16:46 PM
Jeffrey, in reply to your questions:
a. in a Conservation Area
No, it isn't.

b. subject to any other known TCPA matters or registrations?
No, neither my land, nor the surrounding businesses are subject to any planning applications.

For what was it last used? It can't have been derelict forever.
The last structure that was on the land, was in the late 1950's and it was a tobacco shop.

jeffrey
14-06-2009, 16:50 PM
You might be best advised to consult the Local Planning Authority, before irrevocably moving to the site.

BobG
14-06-2009, 17:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I proceed with moving my caravan onto the land and living in it and if the council finds out (which in time they will) they will have quite a job on their hand to move me out of my own land, right?

jeffrey
14-06-2009, 17:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I proceed with moving my caravan onto the land and living in it and if the council finds out (which in time they will) they will have quite a job on their hand to move me out of my own land, right?
On your argument, anyone could breach Planning Control at any time in any way-as long as the breach was on his/her own land!

mind the gap
14-06-2009, 17:09 PM

I expect they will have a plan. It will probably involve prosecuting you for breach of the planning consent laws.

Poppy
15-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Please don't add to your troubles. I really think you ought to contact the council and ask them about moving into a caravan on your land temporarily. Get them on your side.

What other action have you taken?

BobG
15-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I haven't taken any other action.

My local authority says that it will take them 8 weeks to assess my application. That's too long.

Poppy
15-06-2009, 12:23 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would at least put up a copy of my title document and contact the Police about the stolen padlocks. Get a crime reference number.

My original suggestion to camp out, meant in a tent. You don't need council permission for that.

Millerbaz
28-06-2009, 21:28 PM
You Maybe able to get Temporary (up to 3 years) permission.
See http://www.joalleisure.com/mobile-homes-and-agriculture.html

islandgirl
02-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Is there not some rule about "if its on wheels the council can't do much". Also farmers can legally set up a camp site for up to 6 caravans without planning permission. Move it on and what is the worst that can happen. They will write to you and tell you to stop it, which you being a good law abiding citizen will do!
My concern would be that the phantom car stealer would tow the van away off "his" land...
Buy a van for a couple of hundred pounds and fit a tracking device. When it is "stolen" call the Police....