PDA

View Full Version : Bailiffs and Evictions

davidjohnbutton
07-03-2006, 13:50 PM
Some guidance on the eviction process

http://www.coffinmew.co.uk/sochousing/soc%20housing%20claimants%20guide.htm

this answers a number of questions that have been posed recently.

justaboutsane
07-03-2006, 14:22 PM
Great Link DJB :D .. however .. it says a locksmith MUST be in attendance...? We have never used a locksmith as the only evictions we have had to carry through the relevant property manager has been able to change the locks... ( Don't you just love multi skilled workers :D)

I know this is a minor point .. but could a bailiff refuse to let you for example break in if the place was empty but no keys had been returned?

Oh and the 7 day thing is good! We gave an ex tenant of ours 14 days.. on day 15 he called and I told him where to get off.. (politely of course!) He told us he was going to sue! But the note in the window clearly said 14 days and he only moved 2 doors away and had been seen in the garden etc within that time!!!.. Needless to say he has never sued!

davidjohnbutton
07-03-2006, 15:42 PM
I can be a "locksmith" using a large jemmy or a police style enforcer - if you get my drift - it does not have to be a qualified locksmith - but if you have got double glazed doors that are not so easy to force, then the locksmith is the easy option to get in by picking the lock.

I cannot see why a bailiff should prevent the landlord from forcing entry if the property is vacant but no keys have been returned. The warrant has to be concluded one way or the other, persons present in the property or not.