PDA

View Full Version : Rent book question

illyria
06-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I have been a tenant in a private flat for 7 years and always paid my rent on time. I recently purchased a new rentbook myself as the old one was fallling apart and my landlords so called 'agent' said that he will now keep the old one. My opinion is that i should be able to keep the rent book as it is my record of what rent i have paid. My question is legally whose supposed to keep it? The 'agent' only ever comes to get rent book every 2 months as i pay my rent to the shop downstairs. Although i know he has to see rent book i am unhappy that he takes it with him as this week i had to get receipt for rent which means i have to wait to get my rent book to be updated.

davidjohnbutton
06-03-2006, 11:52 AM
You are entitled to a rent book if you pay your rent weekly (that means your rent is due each week on a certain day - not related to the frequency with which you pay it - i.e. one payment every 4 weeks say)

Tell the agent that if the rent book is taken off you, you will report the matter to the enforcing agency which is your local council's environmental health officer or possibly a housing officer.

illyria
06-03-2006, 13:34 PM
Yes i do pay my rent weekly. I just wanted to check to make sure the old rent book belonged to me before i spoke to him again. Thank you