PDA

View Full Version : Council tax

ngadef
02-03-2006, 13:38 PM
Can I charge a lodger counicl tax?
He's paying £75 for rent only. If I charge him council tax can he claim it as he's on full HB? What proportion can I ask for if there's just two of us sharing the house? Half?

Many thanks

Poppy
02-03-2006, 13:54 PM
Why complicate things? My lodgers' rent includes gas, electric, water, council tax, broadband internet access, tv licence, air.

Ericthelobster
02-03-2006, 17:44 PM
You can do what you like, but I think Poppy's already hit the nail on the head.

You're presumably aware that you'd qualify for a single-person occupancy discount if you were on your own - if that makes any difference to you?

Steve C
02-03-2006, 22:20 PM
You're presumably aware that you'd qualify for a single-person occupancy discount if you were on your own - if that makes any difference to you?
He's not on his own though. Are you suggesting he commits fraud?

Ericthelobster
03-03-2006, 17:52 PM
He's not on his own though. Are you suggesting he commits fraud?Don't be daft, no. Merely pointing out that he's paying £X more per month in council tax simply because this person's living in his house; and he at least ought to have factored that figure (and probably more TBH) into his sums when calculating how much he should charge in rent.

ngadef
04-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks Poppy

I can't get all inclusive because he's on HB & they just pay rent

Poppy
06-03-2006, 08:49 AM
You seem to have misunderstood me ngadef. Set your rent so that it covers gas, electric, water, council tax, broadband internet access, tv licence, air and then call it "rent". Not hard.

justaboutsane
06-03-2006, 10:44 AM
You can charge them all Inclusive, but you then break it down for the HB forms. Then anything the HB don't pay the tenant "tops up".