PDA

View Full Version : Lodger living with me

ngadef
02-03-2006, 13:36 PM
As far as I know lodgers have no security of tenure
But one is claiming because she has HB & JSA & is 19 I have some sort of responsibilty to her because of her age.
She says that local council stop me asking her to leave

I think this is not true, what do you think?

Poppy
02-03-2006, 13:49 PM
It's not true. They are a paying guest - that's all.

When you want her to leave simply give her a couple of days to pack her things and hand back your keys.

PaulF
02-03-2006, 15:37 PM
Anyone claiming Housing Benefit for rental purposes will have to provide the LA with a copy of the tenancy agreement, and as her name won't be there she might struggle on this point.

Under no circumstances should you accept any payment by the lodger directly to yourself as that might easily constitue acceptance of them as a tenant!

Steve C
02-03-2006, 22:24 PM
Under no circumstances should you accept any payment by the lodger directly to yourself as that might easily constitue acceptance of them as a tenant!
Call me thick, but how are lodgers supposed to pay if it is not directly to the owner of the house where they are living?

Frankw
02-03-2006, 22:31 PM
Pay it into their own account then to the landlord probably.

ngadef
04-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Poppy thanks again

Paul F you lost me there. Lodgers can't claim an security of tenure & often pay the rent directly to their landlord. So I don't underestand this point

There can't be any tenancy if the landlord is living there

ngadef
04-03-2006, 12:28 PM
PS My lodgers don't have a tenancy agreement. I give them a letter explaining the situation for HB