PDA

View Full Version : Utility bills unpaid by tenant

garryl
27-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Can anyone tell me what are a landlord's obligations, from the utility company's point of view, if utility bills are left unpaid by a tenant who has an account with that company and whose tenancy has ended without him paying the outstanding bill?

attilathelandlord
27-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Nothing at all. The contract is betweent the tenant and the utilty company and therefore the landlord is not involved. Some companies try it on but just ask to see a copy of the contract with them with your signature on it!

Just get the new incumbent's name on with correct readings and let the utility companies know that the old tenant has left.

Put it like this, will they pay your rent if the tenant goes off and doesn't pay? I think not!

garryl
27-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Nothing at all. The contract is betweent the tenant and the utilty company and therefore the landlord is not involved. Some companies try it on but just ask to see a copy of the contract with them with your signature on it!

Just get the new incumbent's name on with correct readings and let the utility companies know that the old tenant is left.

Put it like this, will they pay your rent if the tenant goes off and doesn't pay? I think not!

Thanks. That was what I was hoping, but you never know!