PDA

View Full Version : When does an AST begin?

Moggs
25-02-2006, 18:09 PM
When does an AST begin? On the day a tenant moves into the property or the day on which the tenant and landlord signed the AST?

For example, the tenant moves in on the 14th of the month, but the AST isn't signed by both tenant and landlord until the 23rd of the month.
Does the tenancy start on the 14th or the 23rd with respect to serving a section 21 notice?

caroline7758
25-02-2006, 19:54 PM
I would think the more important date for a S.21 notice is the date on which the rent is paid, since the notice has to end at the end of a rental period.

Tweedle Dum
25-02-2006, 20:14 PM
Why would you allow a tenant to occupy a property a week before signing an AST?

Energise
25-02-2006, 20:32 PM
When does an AST begin? On the day a tenant moves into the property or the day on which the tenant and landlord signed the AST?

For example, the tenant moves in on the 14th of the month, but the AST isn't signed by both tenant and landlord until the 23rd of the month.
Does the tenancy start on the 14th or the 23rd with respect to serving a section 21 notice?

The day they moved in they had an AST, there would not be any obligation on them to sign anything after that.

jinny
25-02-2006, 21:03 PM
Why would you allow a tenant to occupy a property a week before signing an AST?
Good question that! the company i am with, took over my property on 23rd may 05, and i didn't sign an AST until 4th July 05! Where does that leave me?

Energise
25-02-2006, 21:46 PM
Good question that! the company i am with, took over my property on 23rd may 05, and i didn't sign an AST until 4th July 05! Where does that leave me?

You either mutually agreed to end the orginal tenancy and started a new tenancy on 4 July or the original tenancy that started on 23rd May is your valid tenancy.

[Search Paul_f]

jinny
25-02-2006, 22:01 PM
Hi Energise.

My situation is a bit complicated, cos the company who i rent from, bought our house from us in may 05, so we could rent it back from them, but there has been quite a few problems since then. I did think when they took the house over, we should have signed the agreement in may, but they didn't ask us to sign until 4th july! So, if/when it goes to court about the sec 21, which i got in dec 05, where would we stand legally? ie; did the tenancy begin in may, or july? there has been a few developments since my last post from december, but it's too long and complex to write it all down!

Moggs
25-02-2006, 22:51 PM
I would think the more important date for a S.21 notice is the date on which the rent is paid, since the notice has to end at the end of a rental period.

Good point - rent was paid weekly as per landlords request. So rent was paid every Thursday as from 14th October.

Energise
26-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Good point - rent was paid weekly as per landlords request. So rent was paid every Thursday as from 14th October.

The date the rent is paid is not important the date an AST starts is the relevant date.

My situation is a bit complicated, cos the company who i rent from, bought our house from us in may 05, so we could rent it back from them, but there has been quite a few problems since then. I did think when they took the house over, we should have signed the agreement in may, but they didn't ask us to sign until 4th july! So, if/when it goes to court about the sec 21, which i got in dec 05, where would we stand legally? ie; did the tenancy begin in may, or july? there has been a few developments since my last post from december, but it's too long and complex to write it all down!.

Pass :) but I suspect in your case July.