PDA

View Full Version : L abroad; use property address for service (s.48)?

BLL
01-05-2009, 14:19 PM
Hello,
I am living overseas and renting out my property in England privately. I have difficulty in providing an address in England so that notices may be served. The prospective tenant knows me already and can stay in touch with me without difficulty. Would there be any problem in using the address of the property?
Also are there any company would provide service to this problem?
Any views is appreciated.

jeffrey
01-05-2009, 14:31 PM
You have to decide if you can fully rely on whomever you appoint to receive post for you. Even if T is happy to write to your overseas address, the problems potentially arising ought to be foreseen. Your solicitor or accountant in E&W might agree use of his/her address as a sort of 'registered office' postbox.

mind the gap
01-05-2009, 14:32 PM
Hello,
I am living overseas and renting out my property in England privately. I have difficulty in providing an address in England so that notices may be served. The prospective tenant knows me already and can stay in touch with me without difficulty. Would there be any problem in using the address of the property?
Also are there any company would provide service to this problem?
Any views is appreciated.

You may be better to keep things on a professional footing in case of any future disputes, howver unlikely the seem now. Pay for a P.O. Box? Or you could ask a letting agency to act for you.

Is there absolutely no-one else you know who would accept the odd item of mail for you and let you know it has arrived - a friend, relative or neighbour?

BLL
01-05-2009, 15:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies, looks like I have to find an alternative address somehow. Even if I am sucessfully explain and persuade my friend to agree. He may not be so reliable. What happens if he treats the mail with the same priority as junk mail? Would there be any serious consequences?

jeffrey
01-05-2009, 15:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies, looks like I have find an alternative address somehow. Even if I am sucessfully explain and persuade my friend to agree. He may not be so reliable. What happens if he treats the mail with the same priority as junk mail? Would there be any serious consequences?
For you, yes. Suppose that T is suing you and serves Notices in Proceedings at your declared E&W address?

mind the gap
01-05-2009, 15:17 PM
I think Jeffrey's idea of your England or Wales based solicitor or accountant is the best idea, actually. Solicitors and accountants are generally well-organised and would be reliable about informing you if any notices were served on you.

How are you managing the house if you are abroad?

BLL
01-05-2009, 15:24 PM
Anyone know of a professional service just for this at a reasonable cost?

BLL
01-05-2009, 15:46 PM
How are you managing the house if you are abroad?

I took the bold decision to skip the agency because I know the background and have make good connections with the expectant tenant.

jeffrey
01-05-2009, 15:52 PM
I took the bold decision to skip the agency because I know the background and have make good connections with the expectant tenant.
She is expectant (pregnant)?

BLL
01-05-2009, 16:11 PM
She is expectant (pregnant)?

Sorry wrong word, no. I mean the prospective tenant.:o