PDA

View Full Version : L pays part of utility bills; can T be made to pay more?

irene
01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I pay £80 per month for the gas and electricity of a student house i let to 5 students. this is written into the contract and has never been a problem. this year because of the huge hike in energy prices they have already reached their cap and the tenancy still has 2 1/2 months to run. i have informed the tenants and they are furious and are now threatening to withhold rent because they say it is an unfair condition in their lease. Has anyone else had this problem and can the tenants do this?

Paul Gibbs
01-05-2009, 10:00 AM
What does the term in the lease say? Does it state that the payment by you is a contribution, or that there is a cap on how much you pay?

irene
01-05-2009, 10:15 AM
What does the term in the lease say? Does it state that the payment by you is a contribution, or that there is a cap on how much you pay?

hi paul, i have checked the contract and it says under the Services section
"the tenant to pay for all telephone calls made throughout the term and the amount of all rentals and standing charge for gas and electricity in excess of £800 in total throughout the term."
the contract was for 10 months and i offered to pay up to £80 per month on average.

P.Pilcher
01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I really can't see the problem: if the terms are in the lease then so be it. It reminds me of when I was a student (those were gentler days and we had LA grants to support us). I was in digs and a warm blooded creature so wanted to use the 2kW fan heater in my room extensively in the winter. No paperwork in those days, you just paid your landlady the agreed sum. I discussed my warm bloodedness with her and she agreed to watch her electricity bill. I was happy to pay the excess on the bill over her carefully worked out sensible budget and she had no complaints on hearing my (noisy) fan heater in use so much. Oh yes - in those days the rent was £3.50 per week!

P.P.

irene
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
thank you,

Mars Mug
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh yes - in those days the rent was £3.50 per week!

I paid £4 per week, I was ripped off :(

harry1001
01-05-2009, 11:15 AM
As a student I was paying a barely affordable £5 per week for a one bedroom flat in Cardiff . Furthermore the deposit wasn't protected. I wonder if I could claim the x3. It was in 1968 mind, and not sure if I could put my hand on the lease - come to think of it, might have been £5 a month. Memory plays tricks as you get older!!!!!!!!!
What do we want? Why do we want it? What are we doing here? - and all that.
harry