PDA

View Full Version : Is Landlord notified of HB/LHA claim?

house275
19-04-2009, 20:09 PM
Evening all

Read this posted by someone elsewhere
Is it true ?

Even if you had not signed the application form giving authority to discuss the payment would still be made to your Landlord and an award letter issued to both you and him.
However if you are able to prove that you have paid your rent in full and are up to date and you can provide evidence of this eg receipts, rent book or letter from your Landlord then the Local Authority will send the payment to you.

Does this not breach data protection ?
LL's are always moaning on here about HB not going to them direct which is making me think this info is incorrect ?

theartfullodger
19-04-2009, 20:39 PM
Yes, I'd say cutting 'n pasting from somewhere else without saying where that is & giving opportunity for copyright actions would breach data protection..

house275
19-04-2009, 21:19 PM
?:confused:

It was posted on a forum by an anonymous poster

mind the gap
19-04-2009, 21:45 PM
?:confused:

It was posted on a forum by an anonymous poster

I think it was a (failed) attempt at irony!

house275
19-04-2009, 22:27 PM
Well it fell FLAT :cool:

house275
19-04-2009, 22:28 PM
Just wanted confirmation that the person was talking out her arse ?
Anyne know
Pretty please with a cherry on top :)

johnboy
20-04-2009, 06:03 AM
If a HB tenant is 8 weeks in arrears the payments can go direct to the L/L and they wont send it without some documentation which is a normall standard print out listing name & address of tenant what the rent is and what the tenants intitalment is and the dates it relates to.

Without this the L/L wont know what the shortfall is if any. Does that breach DP? I dont know.

mitta1109
30-04-2009, 21:06 PM
Hi, me and my partner are students with a small child. We are entitled to LHA, but are having problems securing a let. As the LHA gets paid directly to me does the landlord have to know that that will be the way we are paying the rent? Are they informed by the Council or do we legally have to tell them?
We are respectable tenants but every agency we go to say they cant help DSS.
Its rather annoying because if we were just regular students getting our parents to pay the rent everything would be fine!
I need to know soon as there is a flat Im very interested in viewing soon.

mike_
01-05-2009, 00:29 AM
Are there any student agencies in your area? I'm a student and I signed a contract through an agency that deals almost exclusively with students. No questions were asked about benefits, etc.

That said, the majority of student houses in my city are let with private contracts with landlords. Perhaps you could consider seeking such accommodation, instead of going through agencies? It's possible your university maintains a list of student housing.

jeffrey
01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi, me and my partner are students with a small child. We are entitled to LHA, but are having problems securing a let. As the LHA gets paid directly to me does the landlord have to know that that will be the way we are paying the rent? Are they informed by the Council or do we legally have to tell them?
We are respectable tenants but every agency we go to say they cant help DSS.
Its rather annoying because if we were just regular students getting our parents to pay the rent everything would be fine!
I need to know soon as there is a flat Im very interested in viewing soon.
No, you do not need to volunteer this information. However, you must tell L the truth if asked; your failure to do so will give L an extra ground to end the tenancy [g17 in Schedule 2 to the Housing Act 1988: tenancy obtained by deception].

sherry
26-05-2009, 18:02 PM
Hi...

As a landlord, I would like to say that I have had major problems in the past with LHA claiments...ie..stating that they had moved out of my property 3 months prior to they actually had and I would never have known, if it was not for receiving an overpayments letter 3 months later. LHA always put the claiment first, which is why I would never accept LHA claiments again...but saying that, I never had a deposit...or money in advance, because I foolishly let to people who I thought I could trust. Many people do not accept LHA as they are advised that their mortgage/insurancy policy is void if they do....I am not an experienced landlord, just let my property as it was not selling at the time...but mortgage and insurance companies are fully experienced...as they have obviously have been in business longer and have experienced all reasons. I only wish my experience of LHA tennants were as honest as you. GOOD LUCK.

Oneman
02-06-2009, 08:49 AM
One of the advantages of LHA being paid to the tenant is that there is no longer any of this nonsense about reclaiming "overpayments" from a landlord. All you have to do is collect the rent, irrespective of where it comes from.

And on the other point, of course the prospective tenant doesn't have to tell the landlord they're likely to receive LHA. After all, they will not know until they've actually made a claim, and the claim can't be made until after the tenancy starts.

I am never entirely sure how anyone calculates "affordability" anyway. How can you tell whether someone has enough money to pay their rent? I've seen all sorts of different formulas put forward. 30/40/50% of net income, or gross income, sometimes including benefits such as tax credits, sometimes not.

Certainly, how do you ever calculate a student income, since so much of it is just accumulating debt from various sources. I doubt if that many landlords even know that students with children are entitled to claim LHA.

jeffrey
02-06-2009, 09:37 AM
All you have to do is collect the rent, irrespective of where it comes from.
Well, it's good to know that. I'd never have guessed! It's not actually so simple- what about the "Won't pay" tenants?

Oneman
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Well, it's good to know that. I'd never have guessed! It's not actually so simple- what about the "Won't pay" tenants?

"Won't pay" tenants are exactly the same, whatever the source of their money. Although it would be nice to have a tenant's employer pay their rent before they pay the wages to the tenant, it's actually fairly hard to get them to do that (even when the tenants agree). Often the difficulty is telling the difference between "won't pay" and "can't pay", if you think that should inform the decisions you make in any way. If you don't think it should, then why do you need to know where your tenant gets their money from, or whether they have any?

Snorkerz
02-07-2009, 23:14 PM
does the landlord have to know that that will be the way we are paying the rent?

I know when I recently applied for LL insurance, one of the quote questions was 'is the tenant on benefits?'.

So, apart from the fact you may need the LL to claim on the insurance for something, it would be incredibly unfair to put the LL in a situation where he'd paid to have his contents / property insured but had no cover because he's 'lied' on the application form.