PDA

View Full Version : tenant called eviromental health to get a council house

velvet
01-04-2009, 21:22 PM
my tenant has informed me that he has called the enviromental health officer. he said that he has applied for a council house and during the interview he mentioned that sink pipe has been dripping for the last six months and has caused some mould, and on mentioning this he was advised to report it.

after asking the tenant why he did not report it to me so that it could be fixed again (as it was fixed last year). he said that i knew about but was not doing anything to repair it.

I believe that he is making a mountain out of a molehill to get higher up on the council house list.
Also I know that the enviromental officer who is visiting hates landlords and looks for everything and anything that can be repaired.

what can I do about my tenant and what can the EHO ask me to do?

the house was in good condition when rented out.

Thanks for all your helps

mind the gap
01-04-2009, 21:28 PM

Why don't you just get the sink pipe mended properly?

Preston
01-04-2009, 21:52 PM
Why don't you just get the sink pipe mended properly?

Yep, I agree this would be your best defence.

I believe that he is making a mountain out of a molehill to get higher up on the council house list.

Well, if that is what he is trying to achieve he's not very clever because it won't work. Any disrepair would need to be rather more serious than a leak under the sink before there was any chance of it affecting a housing application.

Also I know that the enviromental officer who is visiting hates landlords and looks for everything and anything that can be repaired.

I wouldn't worry too much about the EHO. They can of course ask you to carry out any repairs that are your responsibility, but if the property is in good condition there shouldn't be too many of these.

As for what you can do about the tenant, it might be worth making sure that you keep proper records of all repair requests and your response.

Preston