PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with this tricky one please

Jkrlandlordzone
01-04-2009, 13:48 PM
Hi, ive dropped a major one here and wonder if anyone can help. Tenant moved into a property of mine in August 2007 and i forgot to register her deposit with any of the schemes. This wasnt deliberate. I genuinely just put the money aside and forgot to register it
To cut a very long story short, she defaulted on her rent, trashed the place and then moved onto another property when she abandoned mine at end of feb. I had put in a court claim for unpaid rent but am not bothering to pursue as have not chance of seeing any money. Today i receive a letter from her legal aid and she is claiming for me not registering her deposit.
Do you think in view of her non rent payment and tenancy conduct generally she would have a case? Im prepared to let things drop and not pursue her. What are her chances of successfully prosecuting me for not registering her deposit even though i used it for late payment of rent.
bit WORRIED. can anyone help?

mind the gap
01-04-2009, 13:53 PM
Hi, ive dropped a major one here and wonder if anyone can help. Tenant moved into a property of mine in August 2007 and i forgot to register her deposit with any of the schemes. This wasnt deliberate. I genuinely just put the money aside and forgot to register it
To cut a very long story short, she defaulted on her rent, trashed the place and then moved onto another property when she abandoned mine at end of feb. I had put in a court claim for unpaid rent but am not bothering to pursue as have not chance of seeing any money. Today i receive a letter from her legal aid and she is claiming for me not registering her deposit.
Do you think in view of her non rent payment and tenancy conduct generally she would have a case? Im prepared to let things drop and not pursue her. What are her chances of successfully prosecuting me for not registering her deposit even though i used it for late payment of rent.
bit WORRIED. can anyone help?

Yes she has a good case; the only thing you can do now is to write and offer the whole deposit back in full and to write off rent arrears (assuming these come to less than 3x the deposit).