PDA

View Full Version : Landlord not responding to calls / letters

geordie
01-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi,

We've recently signed an assured shorthold tenancy agreement for 6 months and moved in a couple of weeks ago.
We've had problems since day one with the property. We agreed that the property would be cleaned before moving in and the gardens which are extremely overgrown/ litter etc be cut back and tidied. The day we moved things like the fridge, oven, cupboards had previous tenants property in and required a thorough cleaning. The gardens havent been touched even though we've had weeks of dry weather with only the odd shower. We've discovered the shower upstairs drips water into the room below and the front door has a gaping hole in the bottom letting out the heat and creating drafts through the house.
These problems arent huge and shouldnt take much to fix but we've called the landlord on both contact numbers, leaving messages on answer machines several times and written a recorded post letter and so far not had any response, its obvious he is ignoring us as we know hes been in touch with the letting agents to talk about what he legally has to do.

So we're coming up to our second months rent and wondering if we should withhold the rent until he at least has the decency to contact us. Obviously we're worried that if this is how hes tackling simple fix problems, what happens later if the boiler stops working or something else...
We are prepared to leave and move somewhere else if these things arent sorted.

So the question i have is, what options do we have? Is it reasonable to think he should be returning or answering calls within 2 weeks for repairs? What would happen if we decided to send him a letter saying as we've had no response we're leaving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

justaboutsane
01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I would stop the rent and put it into a seperate acount. LL will be quick to contact you then!

In the meantime get 3 quotes for all work needed. Send them to LL stating you will get the lowest quote done if he does not sort it. Affter 14 days get the work done, deduct it form your rent and send the Invoice to him along with the rest of the rent.

geordie
01-04-2009, 13:29 PM
Thanks for your thoughts.
I'll put the rent in a savings account until he responds for sure, not sure about getting the quotes, sounds like a lot of work on our behalf when hes the landlord and we're paying him for a service to do this kind of thing.
Right now i couldnt care less if he doesnt respond, im wondering if we have right to leave if he doesnt take care of things. At what stage is he breaching the contract by not responding/sorting things out?

mind the gap
01-04-2009, 13:59 PM
Thanks for your thoughts.
I'll put the rent in a savings account until he responds for sure, not sure about getting the quotes, sounds like a lot of work on our behalf when hes the landlord and we're paying him for a service to do this kind of thing.
Right now i couldnt care less if he doesnt respond, im wondering if we have right to leave if he doesnt take care of things. At what stage is he breaching the contract by not responding/sorting things out?

No, your LL would have to be in much more serious breach than this before you could legitimately move out and break the contract. It's normally when the property is uninhabitable or there is serious risk to life and limb.

Do as advised above and continue to get the problems sorted, witholding rent as necessary but keeping all invoices etc., and advising LL of each job before you have it done.

It is unfortunate that your LL is a lazy, uncommunicative so-and-so, but sadly it doesn't mean you can 'call it a day'.