PDA

View Full Version : Deposit with a twist

haggard
31-03-2009, 18:36 PM
I have just been served with a Section 21(4)(a) but i have also discovered that my deposit has not been protected. I know the notice is not valid without this and I know that LA will ensure it is now protected. A small part of my rent is paid by HB. They covered £1100 of the deposit and I paid £900 cash (31/08/07). I know that the cash has to be protected but do I have any protection with the deposit that LL can claim from the council. I was previously told by council that they would pay the LL as much of the deposit as he requested and would leave me to then dispute the amount with LL. I would have to pay the council any amount claimed by LL. Is there anything I can do to protect this? LA takes rent and holds deposit but LL manages the property. I know i can ask for 3x deposit as it hasn't been protected. I don't want to go down that route. I just want to make sure that my money is protected not gain extra from either LL or LA. Is there anything I can do?

REDLIMITED
31-03-2009, 18:53 PM
I have just been served with a Section 21(4)(a) but i have also discovered that my deposit has not been protected. I know the notice is not valid without this and I know that LA will ensure it is now protected. A small part of my rent is paid by HB. They covered £1100 of the deposit and I paid £900 cash (31/08/07). I know that the cash has to be protected but do I have any protection with the deposit that LL can claim from the council. I was previously told by council that they would pay the LL as much of the deposit as he requested and would leave me to then dispute the amount with LL. I would have to pay the council any amount claimed by LL. Is there anything I can do to protect this? LA takes rent and holds deposit but LL manages the property. I know i can ask for 3x deposit as it hasn't been protected. I don't want to go down that route. I just want to make sure that my money is protected not gain extra from either LL or LA. Is there anything I can do?

I'm not being funny but you've been asked to leave via a section 21. Whats the reason the landlord wants the property back? or should i say you out?

jeffrey
31-03-2009, 18:55 PM
I'm not being funny but you've been asked to leave via a section 21. Whats the reason the landlord wants the property back? or should i say you out?
L does not need any reason. Section 21 Notices are not fault/reason-based.

REDLIMITED
31-03-2009, 19:00 PM
L does not need any reason. Section 21 Notices are not fault/reason-based.

i know, i was going down the route because when someone says they can get x3 the deposit back they usually are grief.

haggard
31-03-2009, 19:08 PM
LA told LL that if he wrote to me advising that he wanted to visit property - as long as he gave me 24 hours notice - he could enter the property without my permission. The date wasn't convenient, I offered an alternate date but Ll said he was going to enter on the date he said whether I was there or not. With advise from this site I told him he couldn't, unlawful entry etc etc. Because he believes agents he thinks I am being obstructive. He has always been a bit of a bully and 'throws his toys out of his pram' if he doesn't get what he wants. I have never missed the rent, house is spotless, and I try not to contact him (unless he contacts me). I have even arranged for repairs etc myself so as to limit contact. If this notice is only served to problem people, maybe I should be serving it to him! Also, the reason I mentioned 3x deposit is because of have been trawling thread to see if there was a way to protect the deposit with the council. Unfortunately i couldn't miss the amount of threads informing me of that little bit of information

REDLIMITED
31-03-2009, 19:16 PM
LA told LL that if he wrote to me advising that he wanted to visit property - as long as he gave me 24 hours notice - he could enter the property without my permission. The date wasn't convenient, I offered an alternate date but Ll said he was going to enter on the date he said whether I was there or not. With advise from this site I told him he couldn't, unlawful entry etc etc. Because he believes agents he thinks I am being obstructive. He has always been a bit of a bully and 'throws his toys out of his pram' if he doesn't get what he wants. I have never missed the rent, house is spotless, and I try not to contact him (unless he contacts me). I have even arranged for repairs etc myself so as to limit contact. If this notice is only served to problem people, maybe I should be serving it to him! Also, the reason I mentioned 3x deposit is because of have been trawling thread to see if there was a way to protect the deposit with the council. Unfortunately i couldn't miss the amount of threads informing me of that little bit of information

Just be happy to get your deposit back.

haggard
31-03-2009, 19:20 PM
That is the advice I am asking for. LL could claim all £1100 from the council and I have to pay the full amount to the council. That £1100 is part of my deposit. The whole deposit is £2000 and only £900 of it will be protected (hopefully) I would be extremely happy to get all of it back and I just want to know if there is anyway of protecting the larger part of the deposit. I know many people won't have come across this as I have not seen anything on previous threads. I

mind the gap
31-03-2009, 19:32 PM
i know, i was going down the route because when someone says they can get x3 the deposit back they usually are grief.

This is an unjustified and unhelpful generalisation. Tenants who are on the point of having to claim the 3x penalty are usually at that point because their landlord has

(a) not bothered to, or chosen not to, protect their deposit, in the hope of being able to hold onto it illegally when T moves out, and
(b) refused to return the deposit when offered that option.

Such LLs often represent much more 'grief' to their tenants than their tenants to them.