PDA

View Full Version : Council Rent Stop Demands

Podrico
31-03-2009, 14:34 PM
Hello,

We manage a property which is let to the local council. We received a letter from the council last week saying certain work had to be carried out within 7 days or they would put a rent stop on, unless we used their contractors!!! (sounds like blackmail to me). The tenant had complained of condensation problems in the property and the council is demanding we have the loft insulated, all piping lagged, vents put in each room and move any obstacles in the house that are in the maintenance workers way - all for £800.

Firstly can anyone tell me if they are within their rights to do this. From our experience condensation can only really be reduced by ventilating the property as much as possible. I would have thought by insulating the property it will only make matters worse. The issue only really occured after the tenant complained the old sash windows were too drafty and made the house cold, so the landlord agreed to replace the windows with UPVC double glazing throughout. Now the property doesn't get the same ventialtion causing the condensation. And should airbricks be put in the tenant will only cover them over when they realise they allow cold air in which completely defeats the object.

I know landlords have oblifations to maintain certain aspects of the property but does condensation come under that category?

Podrico
31-03-2009, 15:36 PM
Can anyone offer any assistance in this matter?

mind the gap
31-03-2009, 15:51 PM
Hello,

We manage a property which is let to the local council. We received a letter from the council last week saying certain work had to be carried out within 7 days or they would put a rent stop on, unless we used their contractors!!! (sounds like blackmail to me). The tenant had complained of condensation problems in the property and the council is demanding we have the loft insulated, all piping lagged, vents put in each room and move any obstacles in the house that are in the maintenance workers way - all for £800.

Firstly can anyone tell me if they are within their rights to do this. From our experience condensation can only really be reduced by ventilating the property as much as possible. I would have thought by insulating the property it will only make matters worse. The issue only really occured after the tenant complained the old sash windows were too drafty and made the house cold, so the landlord agreed to replace the windows with UPVC double glazing throughout. Now the property doesn't get the same ventialtion causing the condensation. And should airbricks be put in the tenant will only cover them over when they realise they allow cold air in which completely defeats the object.

I know landlords have oblifations to maintain certain aspects of the property but does condensation come under that category?

Presumably the new vents will help ventilate the property and eliminate some of the condensation?

The proposed measures seem sensible from an energy-efficiency point of view, but I do not see why you should have to employ the council's contractors.

Was this the first you had heard of the works needing doing - or have you had a visit from the EHO?

johnboy
31-03-2009, 16:44 PM
99% of condensation problems in rental properties is down to the tenant. If i was you i would get a independant report done by 2 other companies.