PDA

View Full Version : Query help please

magsdiamonds
30-03-2009, 14:50 PM
[Hi all
I have a query please , Is there anywhere i can check that my landlord who doesnt live in the property i am renting , but has a mortgage on it , has actually told his mortgage company that he is letting the property out ?
The reason i ask is that the property management have been chasing him for maintenance payments and have threatened to tell his mortgage company .
I am worried that i could be thrown out of my home
Many thanks
Mags xx:(

jta
30-03-2009, 14:55 PM
What usually happens in a case like this, is that the mortgage company pays the bill, then adds it to what the LL owes them.

magsdiamonds
30-03-2009, 14:58 PM
Thank you for the reply , but i am concerned that he hasnt told his mortgage company that he is renting this property , is there anyway i could check this and what rights do i have if the mortgage company gets funny about it
All answers are gratefully recieved and i thank you for replying to me , im new at this and worried
Mags x

jeffrey
30-03-2009, 15:03 PM
Thank you for the reply , but i am concerned that he hasnt told his mortgage company that he is renting this property , is there anyway i could check this and what rights do i have if the mortgage company gets funny about it
All answers are gratefully recieved and i thank you for replying to me , im new at this and worried
First, check to see if the property is in fact mortgaged by L. For £3, you can download (via LR Online) a copy of L's registered title, inc. details of his mortgagee [M]. However, M will never disclose L's confidential details (except if L is in arrears and facing repossession?)

jta
30-03-2009, 15:07 PM
The chances are that everything is fine, however, even if he has been naughty, nobody can just toss you out on your ear. They would still have to go though all the court rigmarole to gain possession. Just keep paying your rent on time and there is nothing to worry about. (I hope)

Seminole
30-03-2009, 15:09 PM
We've recently found ourselves in a very similar position except in our case we also found out that our landlord was also in arrears with the mortgage.

There's no publicly available source of information to tell you whether the mortgage company knows. You can find out whether there is a mortgage in place obtaining the Land Registry record for the property (www.landregistry.gov.uk) but that will simply tell you which company has the mortgage.

In our case we directly asked the question of the letting agent and then the landlord. They have promised to obtain consent but we're not sure that they will do so. We are presently taking legal advice.

If the mortgage company is aware of the tenancy and has given consent then you will normally be protected until the end of the tenancy if the mortgage company repossesses the property. If they haven't given consent you effectively have no rights if they repossess. There may be some flexibility to negotiate but, given that our home is under threat and the landlord is in breach of contract we are taking a fairly harsh view of the situation.

In my opinion every single prospective tenant should ask their prospective landlord to confirm whether there is a mortgage in place and whether permission has been granted. Having been put through the ringer to prove that we were creditworthy it is irritating beyound belief to find that the landlord isn't and that they have been playing fast and loose with our home.

magsdiamonds
30-03-2009, 15:10 PM
Hi
Thank you for the reply , yes, his proerty is mortgaged and the only reason i know this is his mail comes here and i send it on, and the only reason i know who his mortgage company is because one of his letter was opened in error by a resident of another flat in this building after the postman put in the elderly gents box instead of mine ,the gent who put it back in my box in a plain envelope addressed to the occupier , i have sent his mail onto him with this explanaiton xx

jeffrey
30-03-2009, 15:10 PM
The chances are that everything is fine, however, even if he has been naughty, nobody can just toss you out on your ear. They would still have to go though all the court rigmarole to gain possession. Just keep paying your rent on time and there is nothing to worry about. (I hope)
This is unfortunately not true! M can (without telling T) obtain a Possession Order against L, then turf-out T at very little notice.

magsdiamonds
30-03-2009, 15:13 PM
Gawdf it gets worse lol , i could be homelss especially as he owes the management company at least £1500 pounds and they are the ones threatining to tell his mortgage company that he owes this money lol
HELP ANY ONE GOT A DECENT 2 BED FLAT I CAN RENT , PREFERABLY WITH NO STRESS LOL

MAGS XX

jta
30-03-2009, 15:14 PM
This is unfortunately not true! M can (without telling T) obtain a Possession Order against L, then turf-out T at very little notice.

Mmmm Ok Jeffrey, I'll go and stand in the corner again. :rolleyes:

must do my homework

magsdiamonds
30-03-2009, 15:23 PM
aaaw Jta im appreciateive of all advice i am given in here so hugs if you got into trouble coz of me , ill go stand in the corner for you ok xxxx
Mags x:D: