PDA

View Full Version : Am I tenant of father (owner)? Can he exclude others?

Cat1974
28-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Please,Please could someone give me any advice.
My dad bought a house for myself and baby to live in, i dont pay any rent but pay all the bills and c/tax. My parents live in their own house. My dad also has my car registered to him. He is a very controlling person.

Anyway i met a bloke very nice and he stayed over a couple of times the last time i was at work and my dad let himself into my home and threw my fella physically out of the house. He has told me even if a friend nips round i have to ask permission to let her in. I know this is ludicrous but hes now saying i've got 1 week to leave the property if i dont like it.

Can he do this do i have tenant rights. Please any help i would really appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Lawcruncher
28-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Family situations are difficult. It is probable that you do not have a tenancy. However, he cannot just throw you out. He needs a court order to do so.

If you keep ringing him up to ask every time a friend is due, will he get fed up?

Cat1974
28-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Lawcruncher,

No he will not give up he is very controlling i am looking for a house to rent so i can lead my own life but i need time to get bond and rent together. What do i do if he throws my stuff out when i'm at work? Can i stop him just walking into my home whenever he likes?

mind the gap
28-03-2009, 21:48 PM
Hi Lawcruncher,

No he will not give up he is very controlling i am looking for a house to rent so i can lead my own life but i need time to get bond and rent together. What do i do if he throws my stuff out when i'm at work? Can i stop him just walking into my home whenever he likes?

No, he can't do this. It sounds a very difficult situation, but what you can do is to change the locks so your dad cannot carry out his threats. That will give you some 'breathing space' so you can get a deposit etc., together.

Write to your dad, explaining that you find his behaviour intimidating (you could, if you wished, tell him that it would be seen as harassment if you reported it to the police). Tell him that you will be moving out as soon as you can afford to and that you will give him as much notice as possible. He may go ahead and get a court order for possession, but you can appeal against that, which will buy you some time, if the judge is sympathetic to you.

It sounds as if relationships have broken down badly, and it's a shame it has come to this, but his behaviour is bullying, isn't it? You should not have to put up with that.

Good luck - I wish you all the best in your search for a flat or house of your own. If your father has you evicted before you have found somewhere, the council may be obliged to house you and your child. Have you asked them?

Cat1974
31-03-2009, 17:48 PM
Thanks Mind the Gap,

I have started looking for new house as i have tried speaking to him but no good. Need to leave and have fresh start but will report him if he continues in the meantime. Thanks.

Izzycam
31-03-2009, 18:55 PM
Thanks Mind the Gap,

I have started looking for new house as i have tried speaking to him but no good. Need to leave and have fresh start but will report him if he continues in the meantime. Thanks.
I agree with this.

jeffrey
31-03-2009, 18:58 PM
My dad bought a house for myself and baby to live in, i dont pay any rent but pay all the bills and c/tax. My parents live in their own house. My dad also has my car registered to him. He is a very controlling person.

Anyway i met a bloke very nice and he stayed over a couple of times the last time i was at work and my dad let himself into my home and threw my fella physically out of the house. He has told me even if a friend nips round i have to ask permission to let her in. I know this is ludicrous but hes now saying i've got 1 week to leave the property if i dont like it.

Can he do this do i have tenant rights. Please any help i would really appreciate. Thanks in advance.

It is probable that you do not have a tenancy. However, he cannot just throw you out. He needs a court order to do so.
Yes. The absence of rent means that the 1988 Act cannot apply, for starters. Did your friend threaten:
a. to sue your father for assault (tort); or
b. to report the assault (criminal) to the Police?