PDA

View Full Version : Violent L not protected deposit and refuses to do repairs

Wet
28-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Huge apologies to the genuine LLs on here that freely offer help and advice; but there is always a bad penny, the LL that thinks he's above the law and I've found him! He's my LL and his blatent disregard for the law or his commitments makes my lood boil as it reflects badly on the good LLs and tenants and I really feel that I have to take a stand but need some advice as I have to know I'm in the right and can get advice before I take action.

1. Deposit not protected
2. Repairs not carried out - front door hasn't been able to open for over three months; kitchen written off by flood 24/12/08 and still not replaced and abosultely stinks .... wood blown, flooring taken up and not replaced etc
3. No Gas Certificate
4. LL making threats of violent eviction
5. LL has history of violence against tenants
6. LL has rented neighbouring property to a problem T; police, EH etc involved
7. LL won't deal with anything apart from taking rent
8. House flooded Xmas eve and LL refused to inform insurers so had no electric for two weeks
9. LLs neigbouring tenant making physical threats to adults and children
10. LL won't return deposit so I can't afford to move
11. I'm scared!!! I split with my husband a year ago to make a fresh start and this isnt what I expected; a guy might handle this better but I'm only a small girl (size 6 too big and loosing weight rapidly due to current situation). I can't afford to change the locks and LL has keys as he has used them before - walked in thinking I was out but in bed after asthma attack

Any advice, PLEASE!

jta
28-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Huge apologies to the genuine LLs on here that freely offer help and advice; but there is always a bad penny, the LL that thinks he's above the law and I've found him! He's my LL and his blatent disregard for the law or his commitments makes my lood boil as it reflects badly on the good LLs and tenants and I really feel that I have to take a stand but need some advice as I have to know I'm in the right and can get advice before I take action.

1. Deposit not protected
Make a claim for the 3x penalty.
2. Repairs not carried out - front door hasn't been able to open for over three months; kitchen written off by flood 24/12/08 and still not replaced and abosultely stinks .... wood blown, flooring taken up and not replaced etc
Call in Environmental Health from your local council. Let them deal with him.
3. No Gas Certificate
4. LL making threats of violent eviction
These are criminal offences, report them to the police.
5. LL has history of violence against tenants
Make sure the police are aware of this.
6. LL has rented neighbouring property to a problem T; police, EH etc involved
7. LL won't deal with anything apart from taking rent
8. House flooded Xmas eve and LL refused to inform insurers so had no electric for two weeks
9. LLs neigbouring tenant making physical threats to adults and children
10. LL won't return deposit so I can't afford to move
11. I'm scared!!! I split with my husband a year ago to make a fresh start and this isnt what I expected; a guy might handle this better but I'm only a small girl (size 6 too big and loosing weight rapidly due to current situation). I can't afford to change the locks and LL has keys as he has used them before - walked in thinking I was out but in bed after asthma attack

Any advice, PLEASE!

I think you need to frighten your LL a bit, a big hairy sensible copper might just do that. Try not to be intimidated, bullies can usually be sorted out by bigger bullies, and EH can be a very big bully indeed. As can be the judges in the county courts

Wet
29-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Thanks jta; police already involved due to neighbour so spoke to them yesterday when they had to attended yet again, They were not surprised about LL as have had problems with him themselves re other tenant and are going to pay him a visit and put him straight on a few things. Environmental Health involved with neighbour so have a contact there and will ring first thing Monday morning.

Only problem I have now is how to go about claiming the 3x deposit and what happens if the LL can't pay?

snakeeyes21
29-03-2009, 03:49 AM
if the landlord cant pay its not your problem. the court will send the baliffs in.

jta
29-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Only problem I have now is how to go about claiming the 3x deposit and what happens if the LL can't pay?

Read up on some of the threads here, you'll find everything you need to know.

mind the gap
29-03-2009, 09:07 AM
if the landlord cant pay its not your problem. the court will send the baliffs in.

Stop! It's not quite so simple. snakeeyes, we appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, but sweeping statements like this have the opposite effect.

That's why jta advised OP to trawl some threads before deciding how to proceed.

Apart from anythting else, if LL has no money, it is likely (although not guaranteed) that he will not risk a fine of 3x the deposit - he will probably either rush off and comply late with protection rules - or repay the original deposit in full.

snakeeyes21
29-03-2009, 21:18 PM
sorry, i assumed the OP meant after a court order had been made to pay the 3 x deposit, and the landlord couldnt afford it.