PDA

View Full Version : Old Tenant Forwarding Address

carbonsa
27-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Hello, my old tenant said she had arranged a redirection and its been 4 weeks since she's gone. My new tenant is getting loads of mail. what do i do? pop it all back inthe post?

Paul_f
27-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Just mark it "gone away - return to sender" if you want to otherwise you are entitled to dispose of it. Contact your local post sorting office and inform them of the change.

mind the gap
27-03-2009, 21:46 PM
The post office will not be interested unless you have proof that the tenant paid to have her mail re-directed - and even then, they will probably only be prepared to disucss it with her, not you.

Marking it 'return to sender' will not stop more post arriving.

The other option (disposing of it) is even less advisable, as you will see by reading this thread about the legality of tampering with other peoples' mail:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13098&highlight=mailbags

carbonsa
29-03-2009, 14:45 PM
my current tenant is fed up of receiving a ton of letters since my last one has moved out. Alot of them are catalgoue companies chasing arrears. Ive popped the letters back in the post box with Return to Sender but our concern is whether bailiffs can knock on my property demanding payment? has anybody had any experience with this at all?

mind the gap
29-03-2009, 15:15 PM
my current tenant is fed up of receiving a ton of letters since my last one has moved out. Alot of them are catalgoue companies chasing arrears. Ive popped the letters back in the post box with Return to Sender but our concern is whether bailiffs can knock on my property demanding payment? has anybody had any experience with this at all?

No, the debts are against the person who ran them up, not against property which belongs to someone else (you).

If you think you there is a serious risk of the bailiff turning up, you, or the current tenant may find it useful to have ID and tenancy agreement to hand; you will still have old tenant's TA which will go some way to prove (although not definitively) that she has moved out.

davidjohnbutton
29-03-2009, 15:49 PM
I bought a house once that had been repossessed - the lender continued to send increasingly threatening letters to the property within which I was now living.

I therefore wrote to them recorded delivery and said that any more mail would attract a £10 handling charge. They didnt stop - so when it got to 10 letters I invoiced them - they didnt pay, so I took em to court and won.

The judge said that once I had sent my letter laying down conditions and they received it, they were bound by it and must pay me for any further letters they sent.

Result!!!!