PDA

View Full Version : gas certificate not supplied by landlord

boomshake22
26-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Basically residents in our block (owners) have had their boilers inspected to find non standard flue fittings by our landlord /building owner.
We have now realised he has not supplied a gas certificate, in fact we have been there 2 years and in the tenancy agreement it states he should supply a cert on moving in and inspect the appliances every year. But none.. I realised I should have insisted on it earlier..

He is on holiday and not answering his phone, and must have been notified earlier of the problem and not told us.

It is obviously essential I get a cert and bill him for it..asap

I have cancelled the rent till its sorted.. what legal comeback do I have.. what should I do..??

thanks

Poppy
26-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Do you have a good relationship with your landlord? Is there any reason that you do not want to wait until your landlord returns from holiday? Certainly, don't recommend that you withhold rent.

Suggest that you speak to your landlord on his return and point out (in a non-confrontational way) that he has a legal obligation to certificate all gas appliances in the property every year in compliance with Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. (Correct me if this is the wrong Act.) Tell him you want a gas safety check organised as quickly as possible.

Bel
26-03-2009, 10:37 AM
On the other hand, Poppy, we don't want the OP to have a dangerous gas installation for longer than necessary.

It's a tough call.

Paragon
26-03-2009, 18:34 PM
Didn't the OP state that there had been an inspection and they found "non-standard flue fittings" (Whatever that means?)? However, did the inspectors sign off as OK or not? If they did, perhaps the LL just needs a gentle reminder that you would like your copy sooner than later.

P.Pilcher
26-03-2009, 19:52 PM
I imagine that the check will have included a test that the flue was drawing correctly - despite these non-standard flue fittings. If the flue was not working satisfactorily and the installation was thus dangerous I am sure the appliance would have been disconnected.

P.P.