PDA

View Full Version : New letting but check-in inventory is illegible

Enzo
25-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi all,

My wife and I just moved in a new flat, and had a bit of a bad surprise when we received the copy of our check-in inventory by post yesterday.

We received a 3-pages report and a CD of images of the flat done by the inventory clerk 2 days before we moved into the property. So far so good.

But there was also a copy of an Inventory of the previous tenancy in
this property arranged by a different estate agent with a different inventory clerk. This document is handmarked at the time of the previous tenants' check-in and check-out.

The problem is that this document has been crossed out and written over so many times that it is impossible for us to find out what is actually valid or not. Worse, it has many handwritten comments which are completely undecipherable.

What are our rights in that situation ? We just want to have a valid document that gives us a clear and accurate representation of the property and its condition, and so far we cannot even read ours...

Thank you in advance ;)

mind the gap
25-03-2009, 15:17 PM
Hi all,

My wife and I just moved in a new flat, and had a bit of a bad surprise when we received the copy of our check-in inventory by post yesterday.

We received a 3-pages report and a CD of images of the flat done by the inventory clerk 2 days before we moved into the property. So far so good.

But there was also a copy of an Inventory of the previous tenancy in
this property arranged by a different estate agent with a different inventory clerk. This document is handmarked at the time of the previous tenants' check-in and check-out.

The problem is that this document has been crossed out and written over so many times that it is impossible for us to find out what is actually valid or not. Worse, it has many handwritten comments which are completely undecipherable.

What are our rights in that situation ? We just want to have a valid document that gives us a clear and accurate representation of the property and its condition, and so far we cannot even read ours...

Thank you in advance ;)

Well, you could take the view that an accurate, detailed and legible check-in inventory is actually more for the LL's benefit than the Ts, since without one, LL is very unlikely to be able to claim anything from your deposit for damages, etc., when you move out. The onus of proof will be on him, not you. However, you will be expected to sign an inventory, I suppose (assuming the LA is not too lazy that he forgets to chase you over it - it's not unknown).

The solution is simple. Just send the illegible, inaccurate inventory back to LL/agent and say you will be happy to sign an accurate, legible one, but you cannot sign this version since it is illegible and possibly wrong.
They are being lazy - they could at least have updated the original list and printed out a clean copy for you.