PDA

View Full Version : Fair Deposit Reductions - help much appreciated!

app
25-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Dear all

These forums are a wealth of knowledge and whilst I have gleaned alot of useful information your views and help would be much appreciated.

My situation as a past tennant was:

Rented a 2 bedroom flat with a couple, for 6 months. Total flat rent was £700 and it comprised of an open-plan living area, two bedrooms, bathroom, hallway
We rented the property for the 6 months tenancy agreement and decided not to extend the contract
Flat was given to us in a very clean condition however it had LOTS of items in it (furniture, kitchen ware, etc. etc.) which were not part of the tennancy agreement
Whilst we verbally accepted and were happy to recieve certain items, we never agreed to recieve so much stuff!

There is photographic evidence of the flat before we moved in and the usual inventory/tennancy agreement.

Whilst the letting agent was happy with the condition of the flat, the Landlord was not and they came to the following conclusions and reductions:

£40 for removal of 1 double bed, 2 desks and a display cabinet; ie: those items which I couldn't move in my Micra or give to a nearby friend using the legs we were born with!
£60 for the cooker to be cleaned; myself the couple I rented with had cleaned it, but unfortunately couple obviously used it once before leaving without my knowledge, hence could require some minor cleaning)
£60 for the cleaning of two carpets; one has minor stains from make-up, the other has minor damage from the fridge which door doesn't shut correctly which occasionaly caused condensation to trickle down and cause damp damage beneath the door
£60 for the final flat clean; unfortunately on the day of moving out my flat-mates had left all the removal of items to me and I was unable to give the flat the cleaning it deserved. It was in fairly good condition but their was a minor level of dirt which was not there when we were handed the property

I am wondering whether you view these charges as fair? All cleaning is to be done by the landlord themself (verbally told me by the letting agent). Removals were through a removals company, however the display cabinet was likely worth a few quid.

It may seem minor, but sadly money is tight for me at the moment. I have said to the letting agent I would be happy to give it a final clean myself if I was allowed entry (due to time constraints I wasn't able to prior to leaving the property).

Currently I don't want to accept the £40 removal as these items were already in the property and I myself moved a huge quantity of stuff (therefore saving on the removal costs).

I feel the cleaning of the carpet due to make-up stains is fair, but the other carpet stain was caused by faulty equipment supplied with the property.

The cost of giving the cooker a minor clean seems excessive at £60; should I request a lower cost (assuming the landlord/letting agent won't allow me to clean it myself)?

The property was left in a clean state, but could have potentially had some minor further work to reach a proffesional standard. Is £60 fair considering the circumstances?

I have no quarms with the letting agent, and whilst I understand the landlords concerns the costs do seem in some cases excessive/unfair.

Would the letting agent be required to provide invoices of work done to deduct money from my deposit?

With the exception of the make-up marks on one of the carpets and the minor cleaning required on the cooker there are no differences in the photos. The photos also contain some of the items which were in the property which we managed to move (and weren't listed in the inventory).

I would preferablly like my deposit returned in full, but realistically would expect a ~£75 deduction...but I wish to know your views as letting agents, landlords and tennants! What do you view as fair, and what would the DPS view as fair?

If you've read this then thank you for bearing with me and please excuse some of my opinions peeping through (I have tried to keep it somewhat neutral) and the length. Kindest regards,

K

jeffrey
25-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Could you condense your post a bit (or a lot), please?

mind the gap
25-03-2009, 15:01 PM
Dear all

I am wondering whether you view these charges as fair? All cleaning is to be done by the landlord themself (verbally told me by the letting agent). Removals were through a removals company, however the display cabinet was likely worth a few quid.

It may seem minor, but sadly money is tight for me at the moment. I have said to the letting agent I would be happy to give it a final clean myself if I was allowed entry (due to time constraints I wasn't able to prior to leaving the property).

Currently I don't want to accept the £40 removal as these items were already in the property and I myself moved a huge quantity of stuff (therefore saving on the removal costs).

I feel the cleaning of the carpet due to make-up stains is fair, but the other carpet stain was caused by faulty equipment supplied with the property.

The cost of giving the cooker a minor clean seems excessive at £60; should I request a lower cost (assuming the landlord/letting agent won't allow me to clean it myself)?

The property was left in a clean state, but could have potentially had some minor further work to reach a proffesional standard. Is £60 fair considering the circumstances?

With the exception of the make-up marks on one of the carpets and the minor cleaning required on the cooker there are no differences in the photos. The photos also contain some of the items which were in the property which we managed to move (and weren't listed in the inventory).

I would preferablly like my deposit returned in full, but realistically would expect a ~£75 deduction...but I wish to know your views as letting agents, landlords and tennants! What do you view as fair, and what would the DPS view as fair?

K

I am a landlord (although my children are tenants); I will try to be even-handed! I have ploughed through this and I think the proposed deduction are fair enough, with the exception perhaps of the £40 for removing items which were not on the inventory to begin with. Presumably this is his stuff which you didn't want in the property? Perhaps offer to go halves with him on that.

The other charges are in line with the actual cost of the work; in fact, if he is doing the deep cleaning himself and only charging you £60, you are getting off lightly. A professional cleaning company would charge up to £250 for a property of this size.

To get a cooker + oven professionally steam cleaned (which they do need) will cost £60 +VAT.

If you feel really unhappy about the deductions you could dispute them and go to the deposit scheme arbitration service for a final decision. However my advice would be to accept them.