PDA

View Full Version : Electricity supply uses 1960s cartridge-wire fusebox

garner86
25-03-2009, 09:49 AM
House we are renting, has a 1960's Catridge-wire Fuse box. Last night the 5AMP fuse blow up.

Firstly, The electric's in the house are shabby to say the least, i have not seen a electrical certificate and i doubt there is one. Is a fuse box this old Safe? I don't feel comfortable.

Secondly is it my responsibility to replace this retro looking fuse, do i need a antiques shop? My agent thinks so.

yaf201
25-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Ask your Environmental Health Department to do a Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) inspection. If wiring is unsafe, they will impose an enforcement order on the landlord to make it safe.

Ericthelobster
25-03-2009, 09:58 AM
House we are renting, has a 1960's Catridge-wire Fuse box. Last night the 5AMP fuse blow up.

Firstly, The electric's in the house are shabby to say the least, i have not seen a electrical certificate and i doubt there is one. Is a fuse box this old Safe? I don't feel comfortable.There's nothing inherently dangerous about a cartridge-wire fusebox or an installation of that age - ie it's not going to be unsafe just because it's that old - that said, it would be a very imprudent landlord not to have the electrics checked if they are so old.

What do you mean by "blow up"? I presume you just mean the fuse blew, which it is intended to do for safety reasons. Do you have any idea why it did so? Eg, was the circuit overloaded? You should never just reinstate a fuse or circuit breaker without knowing why it blew or tripped.

garner86
25-03-2009, 10:08 AM
No idea,

We came into the house, turned the light on. BAM! so no idea why it blew, no other lights were on and the fuse controls All the lights in the house.

When I say exploded, the wire-fuse think looks like a charred mess. At least the house isn't on fire!

p_cas
25-03-2009, 10:51 AM
No idea,

We came into the house, turned the light on. BAM! so no idea why it blew, no other lights were on and the fuse controls All the lights in the house.

When I say exploded, the wire-fuse think looks like a charred mess. At least the house isn't on fire!

That's what happens when the fuse blows, the wire burns out. You can buy replacement fuse wire in many stores, £1.79 at Maplins for instance. Its not necessarily a problem, but you or an electrician should find out why the fuse blew. Has it done it previously?

Paragon
25-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I give my tenants a supply of replacement fuse wire just to have on hand. Probably needed once a year at most. Very straight forward to replace.

Ericthelobster
25-03-2009, 12:26 PM
We came into the house, turned the light on. BAM! so no idea why it blew, no other lights were on and the fuse controls All the lights in the house.Is there also a bulb blown anywhere in the house (most likely the light you turned on)? A bulb blowing can sometimes cause a fuse to go, if the broken filament falls off and shorts out the live/neutral within the bulb.

garner86
25-03-2009, 12:53 PM
That's possible. Am in work at the moment so can't check.

P.Pilcher
25-03-2009, 15:30 PM
To be honest, it is almost certainly to be due to a bulb blowing. When the fuse is repaired by replacing the wire with 5 amp fuse wire, All the other lights in the circuit should work normally leaving the guilty bulb to be replaced. If the fuse blows again - then is the time to get the circuit checked by an electrician - but advise your landlord first. He may know what he is doing and is entitled to repair the problem and make it it safe again on his own.
A few years ago, I decided to update my mid 50's electrical installation by replacing the fuse box with one full of circuit breakers. From that moment on, whenever a bulb blew, the appropriate circuit breaker tripped which was a pain. In the old days, a fuse blowing due to bulb failure was a rare event. However, now I am using long life low energy bulbs, the problem has gone away. Yes, I do know that I could have replaced the breakers with a different grade to accept a higher instantaneous current loading.

P.P.