PDA

View Full Version : Tenant want to do work on propertry

patchman
25-03-2009, 08:40 AM
My new tenant has asked if ,amongst other things he can put a new bathroom suite into my propery, remove fireplace and a couple of other modifications. I have no problem with this in principal as they do need improving and he will get them done professionally. My only concern is the possible come back at the end of the tenancy. I could get something drawn up and signed by all parties to the effect that there will be no financial repercussions and the property is left as it is at the end of his tenancy. I just wondered if anyone had been asked anything similar by their tenants and could offer me any advice? They have already paid 6 months rent up front and want to renew tanancy for 12 months at the end of that.

Ericthelobster
25-03-2009, 08:53 AM
I could get something drawn up and signed by all parties to the effect that there will be no financial repercussions and the property is left as it is at the end of his tenancy.You mean you will expect him to remove the new bathroom, fireplace etc and replace the current ones?!

It seems more than a bit OTT to me for an AST tenant to be undertaking this level of work, purely because of the lack of tenure on his part. As things stand, without any paperwork in place, the tenant could spend thousands on getting all this done and you are in a position to evict him at will, within a few months, with no obligation to repay anything to the tenant for having significantly upgraded your property. He's the one who should be proposing some form of written agreement, I'd have thought...

You probably have no imminent plans to reposess the property, but morally I think you're on thin ice agreeing to this, at least not without agreeing to some level of reimbursement of the cash the tenant is proposing to spend, in the event that you need him to quit before X years, or something.

Bel
25-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Also you may want to consider the standard of work that will be done. As it could cause expensive problems if performed by cowboys.

Poppy
25-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Oh really patchman? Just so they can leave in a few months once they've trashed your place. Tell them no. Stay in control. Remember who actually owns the property. It will end in tears.

jeffrey
25-03-2009, 10:12 AM
My new tenant has asked if ,amongst other things he can put a new bathroom suite into my propery, remove fireplace and a couple of other modifications. I have no problem with this in principal as they do need improving and he will get them done professionally. My only concern is the possible come back at the end of the tenancy. I could get something drawn up and signed by all parties to the effect that there will be no financial repercussions and the property is left as it is at the end of his tenancy. I just wondered if anyone had been asked anything similar by their tenants and could offer me any advice? They have already paid 6 months rent up front and want to renew tanancy for 12 months at the end of that.
Is the property:
a. a house or a flat;
b. freehold or leasehold; and
c. mortgaged or unmortgaged?