PDA

View Full Version : Periodic Tenancy

Amanda*
24-03-2009, 23:20 PM
Hi There, wonder if anyone can help.

I have a tenant who wishes roll over in to a periodic tenancy once here fixed term contract ends ( which is soon) i don't have a problem with this as she is a good tenants and pays on time. I understand that if i do not get her to sign a new 6 month fixed term tenancy it will automaticaly turn into a periodic tenancy with the same terms as the origional. Is there any standard letter a landord should give to the tenant to say that they are now in a periodic tenancy and what details must be in the letter? If you can help i would appreciate it. Googled for hours and cant find anything that tells me.

Amanda

Ericthelobster
25-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Is there any standard letter a landord should give to the tenant to say that they are now in a periodic tenancy and what details must be in the letter?No, the tenancy just goes periodic by default. Personally I do always write to my tenants to explain what's happening though, as otherwise many would just think they no longer have an agreement.

jeffrey
25-03-2009, 10:00 AM
No, the tenancy just goes periodic by default. Personally I do always write to my tenants to explain what's happening though, as otherwise many would just think they no longer have an agreement.
Be careful in the wording of such letter. If it's necessary at all (which I doubt), it must only reflect s.5 of the 1988 Act- otherwise, you might inadvertently create a new Tenancy.

kikuyu
25-03-2009, 18:33 PM
I suppose if you let the tenancy become a periodic one then there is no need to have the deposit in a TDS, if the original tenancy was created pre the relevant date when TDS became compulsory.