PDA

View Full Version : No address for landlord- how can tenant give Notice?

yaf201
24-03-2009, 10:43 AM
A friend of mine is moving house. He has lost the mobile number his landlord gave him and his tenancy agreement contains no S48 info. I've told him this means that he is not liable to pay any rent and he has now cancelled his standing order in the hope that will prompt the landlord to get in touch. It hasn't.

He has decided to move and we can't work out how he should give notice or even whether he should give notice.

The only two things I can think of that he should do are;

When he leaves, post a notice on the window saying he's left and put the keys through the door
Write a letter of notice, put it in an envelope with the landlord's name, sort code and account number on. Send that to the landlord's bank with a covering letter explaining the situation and asking them to forward to the landlord.

Does this sound reasonable?

Agent Memsi
24-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I would probably suggest trying to contact the landlord by getting his information from the land registry, i assume your friend has given a deposit he would like back?

yaf201
24-03-2009, 17:37 PM
Yes, a deposit of one month's rent, but as he hasn't paid the rent for 3 months since finding out that he has no S48 info, hoping this will prompt the landlord to get in touch.

We have checked the land registry, but the house is not registered in the landlord's name.

To me the whole thingy smells fishier than Grimsby in the 70s.

Poppy
24-03-2009, 17:50 PM
That means the person you thought was your landlord probably is not.

mind the gap
24-03-2009, 18:48 PM
Or that the landlord is dead, insane or behind bars.

montana
24-03-2009, 19:16 PM
or LL could be one of those government ministers claiming expenses on their second home and just simply forgot to inform you that the room you live in is infact their office.

Agent Memsi
24-03-2009, 20:52 PM
was the deposit registered? request to have the deposit returned and see if the DPS manage to contact the landlord

Preston
24-03-2009, 21:39 PM
Yes, a deposit of one month's rent, but as he hasn't paid the rent for 3 months since finding out that he has no S48 info, hoping this will prompt the landlord to get in touch.

We have checked the land registry, but the house is not registered in the landlord's name.

To me the whole thingy smells fishier than Grimsby in the 70s.

Hi

Sorry, but are you saying that the property was not registered, or that it was registered in someone else's name?

Preston

yaf201
25-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Registered in someone else's name and no the deposit was not protected.

DerryJohn
08-12-2010, 08:56 AM
I wanted to bring this back up.

I have been trying to get my landlord for a long time (Maybe 8 or 9 months) as he still has my deposit.
I tried to phone numerous times and never get an answer and now I cant get through at all on his number.

I am on benefits and had to get a lend of this money to pay my deposit thinking I wouldnt have a problem getting it back because I never have before and I need to give this money back to the person that loaned it to me..I simply can't pay it myself while on benefits.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any help

thesaint
08-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I wanted to bring this back up.

I have been trying to get my landlord for a long time (Maybe 8 or 9 months) as he still has my deposit.
I tried to phone numerous times and never get an answer and now I cant get through at all on his number.

I am on benefits and had to get a lend of this money to pay my deposit thinking I wouldnt have a problem getting it back because I never have before and I need to give this money back to the person that loaned it to me..I simply can't pay it myself while on benefits.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any help

Probably best to start your own thread, and include some relevant information.

jeffrey
08-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Probably best to start your own thread, and include some relevant information.
Plus [Derry John] aren't you/premises in Northern Ireland? The law's different there!