PDA

View Full Version : Damp Issues in New Flat - what to do, 3 weeks in?

lihar
23-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi I moved into a ground floor flat 3 weeks ago. Single glazed and warm air heaters, bathroom with no window off of the bedroom. When we viewed it, it was perfectly fine. On the day we moved in, it smelled pretty musty, but was empty. No sign of damp, but suspicions because of the smell.

We put our furniture in roughly the same place as previous tenants had when we viewed it. Have noticed that room has increasingly become damp and cold and all my clothes in my wardrobe and airing cupboard now smell horrendous. Am running the dehumidifier daily for at least 3-4 hours, opening the window, running the air purifier as and when needed. However, this is not working. Everyday myself and my boyfriend are waking up tired and feeling congested. I notified the agency about 2 weeks in, that we were struggling to control the damp problem. We have tried leaving the light/extractor fan on for longer in the bathroom. But ultimately, we are thinking, now we are going to have to spend more money heating, drying and lighting 2 rooms just to make them habitable. No warning from agency before we moved in at all.

Since contacting the agency, noticed black mould growing up two walls in the bedroom, behind some of our furniture. Mortified and concerned about our health, I rang them today. They said we just need to manage it, wipe the walls down and keep furniture away from it. Which means our furniture no longer fits in the room. Plus the mould is growing around electrical sockets, which worries me.

Its a 6 month contract and although the agency said most flats have condensation and its something we need to deal with, I am really frustrated that the truth was effectively hidden from us and now we have to put up with it. Perhaps I sound like I am moaning too much, but the point of renting from owning, was to take the pressure off and now I feel like I need to do more here than I did when I owned and I owned a victorian terrace but which can notoriously have issues, but it didn't. I don't want to live somewhere where damp is a problem and I'm permanently bunged up all the time I am in the flat.

Any help/advice?

mind the gap
23-03-2009, 18:54 PM
How do you dry your washing?

To what temperature do you heat the bedroom?

Bel
24-03-2009, 00:01 AM
Damp threads:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/search.php?searchid=857574

lihar
26-03-2009, 14:50 PM
i dry my washing in the dryer which is part of my washing machine. i have it on medium heat, as the heaters as costly to run.

lihar
26-03-2009, 14:52 PM
also i tried the damp link but it says there are no matches?

yaf201
26-03-2009, 15:35 PM
Is there somewhere we can post a permanent link to the damp and mould leaflet available on this website http://www.landlordiaidcymru.org.uk/landlord-guidance/downloads.aspx ?

jeffrey
26-03-2009, 16:00 PM
Is there somewhere we can post a permanent link to the damp and mould leaflet available on this website http://www.landlordiaidcymru.org.uk/landlord-guidance/downloads.aspx ?
That sounds a bit Welsh, as a website name...(Indeed to goodness, isn't it, look you?)