PDA

View Full Version : Landlord changed & no new agreement - Do i give notice?

gina_new
22-03-2009, 15:48 PM
Hi im really sorry as this may sound a little long winded.....but i really need help!I moved into a 2 bed flat 5 years ago, i orginally stated through an agency, the owner of the building then sold a lease of the building that i was renting to another guy. I then insisted on a new teneacy agreement. That agreement expired in Sept 08. Then in Jan 09 i found out that my current 'landlord' had run off with my rent and deposit but had handed the rights back to the owner (sorry its very confusing) Then owner then tried to get Jan rent from me again although i had paid the landlord. I disputed this and saw a solicitor. Since this time all the electric was cut in the public walkways, ive had a leak in the kitchen, the dishwasher has leaked and no-one has set foot in my building for 5 years (never helping with repairs) i have always paid for things to be sorted myself. I also replaced the washing machine and have decorated throughout. I have requested new carpets, the chimey be fixed as the wind blew it down and i get pigeons in the kitchen! Sorry to give so much info but may help you to advise me where i stand. I have been paying electric bills that total a £1000 a quarter and have decided i can no longer afford to live in this building. After all this do i need to give any notice? I dont even feel they are entitled to a months notice but i am not the kind of person to walk away from things unfinished??? Please help?

mind the gap
22-03-2009, 16:30 PM
Hi im really sorry as this may sound a little long winded.....but i really need help!I moved into a 2 bed flat 5 years ago, i orginally stated through an agency, the owner of the building then sold a lease of the building that i was renting to another guy. I then insisted on a new teneacy agreement. That agreement expired in Sept 08. Then in Jan 09 i found out that my current 'landlord' had run off with my rent and deposit but had handed the rights back to the owner (sorry its very confusing) Then owner then tried to get Jan rent from me again although i had paid the landlord. I disputed this and saw a solicitor. Since this time all the electric was cut in the public walkways, ive had a leak in the kitchen, the dishwasher has leaked and no-one has set foot in my building for 5 years (never helping with repairs) i have always paid for things to be sorted myself. I also replaced the washing machine and have decorated throughout. I have requested new carpets, the chimey be fixed as the wind blew it down and i get pigeons in the kitchen! Sorry to give so much info but may help you to advise me where i stand. I have been paying electric bills that total a £1000 a quarter and have decided i can no longer afford to live in this building. After all this do i need to give any notice? I dont even feel they are entitled to a months notice but i am not the kind of person to walk away from things unfinished??? Please help?

Technically you shoudl give one month's notice, ending on the last day of a rent period as it sounds as if your original AST has lapsed into a periodic tenancy agreement.

If you have paid for things to be repaired yourself, you could try writing to your LL saying you are giving notice as of (x date) but moving out with immediate effect and attaching the bills for repairs/decorating, etc. If you asked the LL to see to these things and he did not, you would have a good case for asking for the cost of repairs, etc, to be deducted from your final month's rent. You could also mention that because there are piegeons getting into the kitchen one of you needs to get the Envirormental Health Officer in as pigeons pose a health hazard. Ask him whether he would like you to contact the council or will he do it himself?

They sound an extremely disorganised bunch and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't respond to your letter at all, eithe rebcause they are a shambles or because they are worried about the threat of the EHO visiting. they may be happy just to see the back of you, which will suit you as well.

The make sure that the day you move out, you get the gas and elec companies in to take meter readings and take the account out of your name. Insist on this or they will continue to bill you.

I cnanot imagine why your bills have been that high but if you have not queried it before now I think your chances of finding out who else's energy you have been paying for, are slim.

Good luck. Sounds like you are doing the right thing in getting out.