PDA

View Full Version : burglary damage who pays?

ja51don
20-03-2009, 13:58 PM
Hi I have a tenant whos house has been broken into nothing has been taken except for the french door keys?, the glass in the door was smashed (double glazed toughened) got a call about 7pm went and boarded up and have now replaced glass.

Question is, I have done this free of charge. but wondering for future reference should I have charged for this. As with hindsight what if the tenant lost the key, broke the glass and decided to stage a break in to avoid paying.

thanks Jason

SALL
20-03-2009, 14:39 PM
Hi I have a tenant whos house has been broken into nothing has been taken except for the french door keys?, the glass in the door was smashed (double glazed toughened) got a call about 7pm went and boarded up and have now replaced glass.

Question is, I have done this free of charge. but wondering for future reference should I have charged for this. As with hindsight what if the tenant lost the key, broke the glass and decided to stage a break in to avoid paying.

thanks Jason

It is the LL’s responsibility to keep the structure of the building in good repair. So it’s for you to fix the window, you could claim this off your building insurance.
If you suspect that your tenant caused the damage, then ask the tenant to report the crime to the police and only deal with the issue once the tenant can produce a crime number. Insurance companies would also require a crime number to process a claim.