PDA

View Full Version : LL can't be contacted

Mrs F
19-03-2009, 11:07 AM
One of my LLs is a doctor in the Armed Forces, the property has a major fault with the central heating which is going to cost in excess of 3 months rent to repair. My problem, can't find LL. Email is bouncing back, phone number not recognised. I have written to the UK address, but no joy. Any suggestions?

Mrs F
19-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Advice Needed

mind the gap
19-03-2009, 11:13 AM
One of my LLs is a doctor in the Armed Forces, the property has a major fault with the central heating which is going to cost in excess of 3 months rent to repair. My problem, can't find LL. Email is bouncing back, phone number not recognised. I have written to the UK address, but no joy. Any suggestions?

You sound as if you have already had at least one estimate done - get three in total and decide on the best one.

I think you are duty bound to keep trying to contact LL for perhaps another week maximum (keep a log of all your attempts and the outcome). Then I think you must instruct someone to do the repair and take the cost from the rent until you can get in touch with LL. He should be contactable in an emergency - in fact, it is probably in your contract with him that he should be -and it is not your fault - or the tenant's - if he is not.

The worst that could happen is that he could sue you for breach of contract, but your case would be very strong because you did , repeatedly, try to contact him. If you did not get the repair done, T could sue LL for breach, so you can demonstrate you were acting in his interests (if it ever came to it, whcih I doubt it will).

You could try contacting the Army with as much info as you have about him and ask them to get a message to him to contact you., also, try his relatives if you have any details for them, or even the tenants themselves. Other than that, I think you will have done all you can.

Poppy
19-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Ask the tenant whether they are willing to pay and deduct from the rent.

Are you a managing agent?

jta
19-03-2009, 11:17 AM
You could try SSAFA, that's a welfare organisation for all three services, providing you have all his details they may well be able to get a message through to him. If he is working in a hospital somewhere they will almost certainly have a rep. on site. Or try to speak to RAMC HQ. They'll know where he is.

mind the gap
19-03-2009, 11:18 AM
You could try SSAFA, that's a welfare organisation for all three services, providing you have all his details they may well be able to get a message through to him. If he is working in a hospital somewhere they will almost certainly have a rep. on site. Or try to speak to RAMC HQ. They'll know where he is.

Now why does that sound so much more knowledgeable than my 'Try contacting the Army...'?! Good one jta:)