PDA

View Full Version : Tenants Causing Damage To Property

rivermulligan
18-03-2009, 19:45 PM
Can anyone help as i am new to this landlord game!! I have just had tenants move out of my house and they have managed to burn a hole in the laminate of the worktop surface which has now flaked off to the size of half an orange..prob is it will only get bigger and looks unsitely.
they admitted liability but i dont think it will be able to be repaired and checked with my insurance and i only have buildings insurance..not accidental..if i have to get a new work surface ( which will not match usual colours now as old kitchen) are they liable? Their Deposit has not yet been refunded until this is sorted...help??!!!!:confused:

mind the gap
18-03-2009, 20:17 PM
Can anyone help as i am new to this landlord game!! I have just had tenants move out of my house and they have managed to burn a hole in the laminate of the worktop surface which has now flaked off to the size of half an orange..prob is it will only get bigger and looks unsitely.
they admitted liability but i dont think it will be able to be repaired and checked with my insurance and i only have buildings insurance..not accidental..if i have to get a new work surface ( which will not match usual colours now as old kitchen) are they liable? Their Deposit has not yet been refunded until this is sorted...help??!!!!:confused:

How old is old?

I am assuming you will be claiming against T's deposit via the deposit scheme adjudication service? If so, they will look at your claim for a new one (you should claim for replacement of whole work surface, so it matches, not just the bit they damaged). You will probably be awared a proportion of the cost to replace, based on how many more years' life the original surface would have had, before the damage was inflicted.

If the kitchen is nearing the end of its life anyway, you will obviously be awarded less than if they had damaged a brand new kitchen surface. I don't think you can expect very much, to be honest.

Would a new one be easy to fit, or not? If straightforward, might be worth getting a cheap new length put in just to tide you over until you replace the whole kitchen?