PDA

View Full Version : How to check foreign tenant's residency rights?

investor68
18-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but....I have some potential tenants - a married couple been in the country for a couple of years. One is EU origin (Polish) and wife is from Morocco.

Just wondered what if anything I should be checking to ensure they have the right to live here? I'm a bit clueless on this - I assume within the EU everyone has a right to live anywhere in the EU and then someone from outside the EU who marries someone with the right to live here then also has that right?

Probably worrying unnecessarily but would welcome any advice here if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

Also, in these circumstances, is there any point doing a credit search with TenantVERIFY? Not sure there would be much records or history for them to check as they've not been in the country long.

Many thx in advance for any pointers.

Mars Mug
18-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Also, in these circumstances, is there any point doing a credit search with TenantVERIFY? Not sure there would be much records or history for them to check as they've not been in the country long.

An inability to run a propper credit check is not a plus point ;)

jeffrey
18-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question but....I have some potential tenants - a married couple been in the country for a couple of years. One is EU origin (Polish) and wife is from Morocco.

Just wondered what if anything I should be checking to ensure they have the right to live here?
What makes you believe that you need to be concerned about this? It's not really anything that affects you, is it?

Sully
18-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi,
Just wondered what if anything I should be checking to ensure they have the right to live here? I'm a bit clueless on this - I assume within the EU everyone has a right to live anywhere in the EU and then someone from outside the EU who marries someone with the right to live here then also has that right?

Not a "right" although they would be legally able to apply to apply for leave to remain (and then indefinite leave to remain) from the Home Office.

This has come up a number of times, as far as I'm aware Landlords don't have any duty to do this unlike employers and no Letting agency has queried my wife's immigration status (who obtained ILR before the price skyrocketed).

Creditworthiness is another matter.

David.