PDA

View Full Version : L failed me: mould, gas safety/boiler, leaks, windows, etc.

Jayboyd
18-03-2009, 06:09 AM
I wouldn't even know where to begin in explaining the nightmare that has been the last 4 months living in my rented property...many of our (I have a newborn baby) most serious problems have been fixed after 3 months (no water whatsoever, no washing machine, leaking roof) although we still have some problems and I would like to know where I stand them.

Firstly - Mould. It's growing all over the bathroom, even around the bath that I have to use to wash my 4 month old daughter. The bathroom doesn't have any vents but it does have a window. The agents blame us telling us that 'its our lifestyle' causing the mould.

Gas safety Certificate - One of the problems after we moved in was that we had NO water! This was fixed eventually with a new boiler being installed....at the time of installation we asked for a gas safety certificate. 3 weeks on we still don't have one.

Boiler..apparently my girlfriend tells me the boiler instructions state that there should be ventilation in the kitchen in the form of a brick with holes in (sorry cant remember the official name). We dont seem to have any ventillation other than a window). Is this legal?

Energy performance certificates- this is something I have been told we should have been provided with? Is this true as I don't even know what these are.

Windows - Since the day we moved in we asked that the padlocks (that there are no keys for) be removed from the windows in the front room as it is a blatant fire hazard. 3 months later nothing has been done.

Leaking roof...when it rains water comes through the roof of the bathroom and even drips down the lightswitch!

Basically ever since we have moved in everything has taken such a long time to fix that we find it unacceptable. The agents say that they are being let down by their contractors and so they/landlord are not to blame!

So, my question is - who can I report these issues to and what is the most likely response I will get? Any advice would be much appreciated.

SALL
18-03-2009, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't even know where to begin in explaining the nightmare that has been the last 4 months living in my rented property...many of our (I have a newborn baby) most serious problems have been fixed after 3 months (no water whatsoever, no washing machine, leaking roof) although we still have some problems and I would like to know where I stand them.

Firstly - Mould. It's growing all over the bathroom, even around the bath that I have to use to wash my 4 month old daughter. The bathroom doesn't have any vents but it does have a window. The agents blame us telling us that 'its our lifestyle' causing the mould.

Gas safety Certificate - One of the problems after we moved in was that we had NO water! This was fixed eventually with a new boiler being installed....at the time of installation we asked for a gas safety certificate. 3 weeks on we still don't have one.

Boiler..apparently my girlfriend tells me the boiler instructions state that there should be ventilation in the kitchen in the form of a brick with holes in (sorry cant remember the official name). We dont seem to have any ventillation other than a window). Is this legal?

Energy performance certificates- this is something I have been told we should have been provided with? Is this true as I don't even know what these are.

Windows - Since the day we moved in we asked that the padlocks (that there are no keys for) be removed from the windows in the front room as it is a blatant fire hazard. 3 months later nothing has been done.

Leaking roof...when it rains water comes through the roof of the bathroom and even drips down the lightswitch!

Basically ever since we have moved in everything has taken such a long time to fix that we find it unacceptable. The agents say that they are being let down by their contractors and so they/landlord are not to blame!

So, my question is - who can I report these issues to and what is the most likely response I will get? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Some of the issues sound serious (water from leakage near electric etc) you can contact your local environment health department. They will inspect the property to make a list of all problems and make your LL do the repairs.

Bel
18-03-2009, 08:29 AM
You could also try to negotiate some sort of compensation for your inconvenience.

It may be worth talking to Citizens Advice or Shelter for advice too.

Also see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/FAQ/index.php?action=artikel&artlang=en&cat=2&id=13

Ericthelobster
18-03-2009, 08:53 AM

Boiler..apparently my girlfriend tells me the boiler instructions state that there should be ventilation in the kitchen in the form of a brick with holes in (sorry cant remember the official name). We dont seem to have any ventillation other than a window). Is this legal?What model of boiler is this? Sounds a bit unusual for a modern boiler to insist on an airbrick... anyway, once you have a landlord's gas check carried out, the inspector should jump on this if it's indeed necessary. But you should realise that if he does, he will slap a 'dangerous - not to be used' notice on your boiler and disconnect it, which would means that you would then be without heating and hot water until the ventilation issue is fixed.

I'm not saying this to dissuade you from pushing to have the gas check done - far from it, it's very important and your LL is breaking the law in not doing so - but rather, it would be in your interests to ensure that any ventilation issue gets sorted out before the gas check!