PDA

View Full Version : expert advice needed on divide

ravishan21
17-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Hi,
we 3 guys rented a 3 betroom house, in which two are single and one is family man with his wife. so totally 4 person in one house. The rent we pay by dividing it to 3. Now we are not clear on how to divide the Electricity Bill. which is huge becoz of the house heater used.

Now My question is how do we divide the Electricity bill ?
is it by law to divide it like the rent divide by 3 or
is it correct to divide it by four and the family man have to pay 2 parts?

I just need your experts genuine advice so that we can follow it.
1-1-1 or 1-1-2 ?
kindly advice me plse...

thanks in advance !

jta
17-03-2009, 07:18 AM
I think that 30-30-40% would probably be fairest on all concerned.

ravishan21
17-03-2009, 07:28 AM
thanks for the fast response.
I will talk to our guys reg this kind of dividing. (30-30-40%)

if any one have other views plse post me!
thanks in advance!

jeffrey
17-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Is there just one Letting Agreement, for all three joint tenants, or one per person?

If the former, what does it prescribe about outgoings?

ravishan21
17-03-2009, 10:13 AM
the agreemenet was signed by one person for all of three.
that agreement doesnt have proper statements about these matters.
on belief we all taken the house. it was not mentioned before that it need to be divided this way.

becoz the delay in paying the bill there was the fine as well.
now we get the Electricity bill for the past 6 months and that has the fine.
The house has heating common area more. so in winter the bill raised .

We cook in home in common for all. so we share the common food expense by 4 and the family man gives 2 part.

Is the electricity bill also to be divided the same way ?

I heard the utilities need to be divied by no of persons..
the room rent based on no of rooms and the size.
the room the family man occupied is smaller than the one occupied by one single. ther he managed to pay as equal part.
If that is the case then the family man has to pay 50% of the bill, is that so?

please clear me on this..
how does we divide..?
30-30-40% or 25-25-50% ?

jeffrey
17-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Er, if only one person entered into the Agreement as T, only that person is liable under it.

kikuyu
17-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Er, if only one person entered into the Agreement as T, only that person is liable under it.

That may be so, but are you saying the others shouldn't contribute anything towards the running of the household or indeed pay the rent?

This appears to be an arrangement between friends sharing a house and as such it is for them to sort out how the rent etc. should be divided amongst them. Nothing new here, often happens.

ravishan21
17-03-2009, 11:36 AM
ok.. let the agreement is on its way. that wont help.
my question is, generally the utilities will be divided based on the no of persons or no of rooms available.. no extra home appliances or someething. extra they didnt use. all the loads are equal but the family man has to pay 50% of the expense or not..?

Poppy
17-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Out of interest, whose name is on the electricity bill?

Basically, the other people whose names are not on the tenancy agreement, are lodgers.

You just need to come to a friendly agreement between yourselves.

Gigabyte
17-03-2009, 12:40 PM
thats what I was gunna say pops!

surely legally the only person obliged to pay the bill is the one named on the account.

Morally/ethically whatever, it should be spilt however you feel is fairest? 25% each or 30,30,40 presumably?

Mrs Jones
17-03-2009, 13:12 PM
I suppose that logically - the fact that they are a married couple should make no difference - there are four people in the house and bills should be divided by four - each person uses hot water, hair dryers, other electrical goods etc. so probably 25% each person would actually be fair. The fact that the man is paying the bills for his wife is not really relevant to the other persons in the house - that is his private arrangement. If she is working etc. surely she should be paying her share anyway!

jta
17-03-2009, 13:33 PM
My view was based on the point that the man and wife would be sharing a room, so sharing the heating there, and the lighting etc, so they wouldn't really be using 50% of the power, just a bit more to take account of extra showers and so on. However, it is up to the occupants to come to an equitable arrangement between them.

kikuyu
17-03-2009, 13:48 PM
Me and Mrs Jones (that's a song) are one on this.

You stay in the house, therefore you pay.

OP-next time you take on a tenancy, sort the ruddy thing out first. Whose name is the tenancy to be on, whose name the bills, what are the basis of splitting the rent, utilities etc.

Supposing the others upped and left, you do realize that that you may become liable for all the rent/expenses, unless the tenancy is in joint names?

Choose your friends carefully

Bel
17-03-2009, 15:11 PM
The fairest way is to look at use of power:

Is it used for cooking? If they cook together they will be more efficient
Does every one have a TV/computer in their room? They will probably only have 1 TV between 2; so more efficient..

However, they are getting a better deal on rent and you have to put up with an extra person in the house. So I think they should pay half the bills.

ravishan21
17-03-2009, 18:52 PM
For the same house, in the first three months one other guys family was staying, that time the bill was only 50% the next three months bill.
The Bill increased due to common heating facility. if the family mans wife is not there then will the bill reduce to 25% ? it is not so..

then why the family man has to pay 50% of the Electricity bill for being with his wife for the bill ?

Bel
18-03-2009, 06:43 AM
For the same house, in the first three months one other guys family was staying, that time the bill was only 50% the next three months bill.
The Bill increased due to common heating facility. if the family mans wife is not there then will the bill reduce to 25% ? it is not so..

then why the family man has to pay 50% of the Electricity bill for being with his wife for the bill ?

I dont understand your post.

What I am saying in my previous post (to clarify) is that each resident should share the bills equally; the wife should pay her share and not have a discount