PDA

View Full Version : Letting to couple of whom only one is in UK- who signs?

vjb
17-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Can anyone please let me know how I stand if I let a property to a couple but only one of them is in the country to sign the agreement?
The guy is Polish and bringing his family over when he has furnished the property.
Would I just let it to him and ignore his wife? Or can he sign for both?
Thanks!:)

johnboy
17-03-2009, 07:17 AM
You could do a ast in his name only and when the wife turns up do another for both of them to sign as a new contract. The first one will then be invalid.

Yorkie1
17-03-2009, 17:15 PM
Presumably you'd also need to sign a Deed of Surrender or similar to end the first tenancy, if a replacement tenancy is to be signed?

vjb
17-03-2009, 17:35 PM
Thank-you both for those suggestions, most helpful. Is there any specific form that a deed of surrender would take and if so where might I find it?

johnboy
17-03-2009, 17:49 PM
Presumably you'd also need to sign a Deed of Surrender or similar to end the first tenancy, if a replacement tenancy is to be signed?

I dont believe so. The first one will automatically become invalid as soon as all parties sign and date the new one.

jeffrey
17-03-2009, 17:50 PM
Thank-you both for those suggestions, most helpful. Is there any specific form that a deed of surrender would take and if so where might I find it?
The best place to look is posts #37 and #38 on this current thread: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=125134#post125134