PDA

View Full Version : Tenants forwarding address

marc1977
15-03-2009, 13:16 PM
Hi, Can anyone tell me if I am allowed to let utilities, council tax and others know that tenants have moved on?

I am currently forwarding letters on (some three months later) with no sign of the tenants advising these companies.
Many thanks,
Marc

jta
15-03-2009, 13:21 PM
You should always tell all interested parties they have moved on, especially the Council tax office. Any mail you get just mark it as gone away , return to sender, or whatever and put it back in the box.

mind the gap
15-03-2009, 13:39 PM
Hi, Can anyone tell me if I am allowed to let utilities, council tax and others know that tenants have moved on?

I am currently forwarding letters on (some three months later) with no sign of the tenants advising these companies.
Many thanks,
Marc

There is usually a clause in tenancy agreements which allows you to give forwarding addresses, copies of TA, etc (to prove who lived in the property & when) to utility companies, service providers such as telephone/broadband companies & the council. This clause (which they will have signed up to, obviously) stops the tenants claiming that you have breached the Data Protection Act, I think.

If your TA does not contain such a clause, I'm not sure where you stand.

theartfullodger
15-03-2009, 17:29 PM
Sooo... don't tell 'em your the Landlord ... just give 'em (by mail, 'phone...) the new address ..

Cheers!

Artful by name, Artful by nature