PDA

View Full Version : Deposit on now-expired AST appears unprotected

djjm
13-03-2009, 13:53 PM
At no point during our tenancy did we hear anything from the LL regarding our deposit, despite my requests for the relevant information.

The AST ended on February the 28th 2009.

I contacted the LL at this point with a finalising email.

I didn't hear back until March the 12th 2009, at which the point the LL says that we have not adequately cleaned the window frames. She insists that I attend the property and clean the window frames else she will hire a professional cleaner and deduct the costs from our deposit.

At this point I took it upon myself to contact all three of the organisations that provide deposit protection, none of which could find any record of me, my flatmate, or the flat which we occupied.

As a result, I sent the following email to the LL...

Landlady,

Given that an issue has been raised regarding the condition of the flat, albeit a minor one, I must further insist that the relevant information regarding the protection of our deposit is provided without delay.

It is my understanding that this information should have been provided within 14 days of us entering the property.

I also made a request for the information on February the 4th 2009.

Only once this information has been provided, can I take any further steps regarding the condition of the property.

Tenant.

A couple of questions really.

Has the LL already acted illegally? i.e. not providing deposit information when requested and taking such a long time to respond post tenancy (I have since learned that she was on holiday).

How long do I have to allow for the LL to provide a response?

If no response\an inadequate response is given am I entitled to take this to court in order to gain compensation?

If so, what would be the next suitable step to take?

Many thanks to anyone who is able to offer advice!

mind the gap
13-03-2009, 16:22 PM
A couple of questions really.

1 Has the LL already acted illegally? i.e. not providing deposit information when requested and taking such a long time to respond post tenancy (I have since learned that she was on holiday).

2 How long do I have to allow for the LL to provide a response?

3 If no response\an inadequate response is given am I entitled to take this to court in order to gain compensation?

4 If so, what would be the next suitable step to take?

Many thanks to anyone who is able to offer advice!

1 Yes, she has; whether she was on holiday or not at the time, is irrelevant.

2 I would give her 7 days but you need to make that clear on your Letter Before Action

3Yes

4 Send Letter Before Action requesting return of your deposit in full within 7 days. Fill in and attach a copy of your claim and tell her you will be pressing 'send' on x date, unless she responds.